Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ai + M1 Mac + Huion Pen pressure

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'd like to know if there's a way to solve the issue of pen pressure grayed on illustrator, for the Huion tablet users. 
Obviously, I followed the solution from Huion right here : How to Fix No Pen Pressure Issue in Adobe Illustrator (MacOS)?  

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me, and I think it might be due to the M1 chip. I've tried with both version 15 and 14 of the Huion driver, with no luck. 

Anyone else stuck here too ? Or even better, anyone knowing how to make it work ? 

Thank you !

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of users could fix this by installing a Wacon driver on top of the Huion one. Is that what you did?

But yes, due to M1 there might be other things interfering. Have you contacted Huion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard that it worked a few years back, but seems it's not true anymore.
Anyways, I gave it a shot and still didn't changed anything.

Thank for the tip tho 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it's me again.
I decided to replace my Huion device by a XP Pen, and unfortunately the problem is exactly the same ...
Looks like Illustrator is not aware that those devices have pen pressure, it's kinda driving me crazy as I need that tool for work ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolutely need to contact the manufacturer about:

- if it is supposed to work. Ask them explicitely about your combination. Ask them to guarantee it.

- how to install and set up the driver. This used to be straightforward, but that is no longer the case. You have to jump through a lot of hops. And not only that: you also have to know where the hoops are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did all of that.
They told me it works fine, and I followed all the steps to set up the driver.
I have the M1 native version of Ai, and I also retried the Wacom driver hack on top.

It's strange that exactly the same thing happens on both devices ... That plus the fact Illustrator has only "Wacom" mention on the device panel, I'm starting to wonder if Adobe's software isn't at fault here. 
It works perfectly fine on any other apps except Illustrator, and I've seen many mnay threads about Ai / Mac / pen pressure issue over the years, I don't really understand how there's not a clear solution yet 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did they guarantee that it runs with Illustrator?

Back in the days tablet manufacturers put stickers on their packaging that it's working with Photoshop or whatever. It's them who had to make sure it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specifically send them a message before I bough the XP Pen tablet to make sure that their device works with Ai on a M1 Mac, as I was stuck with the pen pressure issue on an another brand.

They answered me that there was no issue they were aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an adobe problem not Huion. I have the same issue on M1 mac - works in photoshop, affinity designer with pressure sensitivity and is amazing. Works on anything other than illustrator. Given this is a multi-year issue and specifically with Illustrtaor, sounds like illustrator has some old crufty code that adobe is too lazy to update. I've been using affinity designer for inking and illustrator for shapes. Seems like the application that costs several times more than Affinity would take time to make their product work as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat.

My huion 2021 pen display pressure works great with all my apps including photoshop/affinity designer/Krita/Blender etc on M1 Mac Pro, but Illustrator ... Nope! I've also been through various methods to no avail and concluded it's Adobe Illustrator only supporting Wacom. I've used Illustrator for years, but it looks like Affinity Is getting used more due to this lacking feature. These thrid party tablet brands are pretty much on par with wacom now IMO so i would highly reccomend adobe looking into this to better keep their user base and subscription.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an Illustrator problem on Apple M1 with tablets in general. I have the same error but with Wacom on my M1. I have tried four different tablet models, and it just doesn't work. Interestingly with third-party plugins like DynamicSketch and InkFlow, it works but not with the standard tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble. The Product team is aware of the issue and currently working on a fix. I would request you to please be patient and stay tuned for updates. 

In the meantime, I'd recommend you to connect with our technical support team (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen). The team here would be able to perform remote troubleshooting and assist you in getting Pen Pressure on your Touch device.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines