Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align and snap shapes to each other

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Designers

I need a little help with align shapes. I add also screenshots to make the question more clear.
I drew two circles one smaller and one bigger with an outerline. First I used the align tool to set both circles to the left of the canvas.

Now I try to align the upper circle to the circle below.

Is there a tool or tecnic for snapping if the outlinepaths touch / cross each other so I can align these circle perfectly?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

jopb,

Once you have both aligned to the left, you can, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) Create an auxiliary circle with a W = H equalling the sum of the diameters of the two circles, then centre align it with the large circle;

2) ShiftClickDrag the small circle by its centre to snap to the auxiliary circle, then delete (or hide) the latter.

The actual diameter to work with in 1) depends on the actual structure of each of two circles, such as filled and with a centre aligned Stroke as th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the plugin ColliderScribe. It can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jopb,

Once you have both aligned to the left, you can, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) Create an auxiliary circle with a W = H equalling the sum of the diameters of the two circles, then centre align it with the large circle;

2) ShiftClickDrag the small circle by its centre to snap to the auxiliary circle, then delete (or hide) the latter.

The actual diameter to work with in 1) depends on the actual structure of each of two circles, such as filled and with a centre aligned Stroke as the simplest case where you can just use their actual diameters, or as filled and with a Stroke aligned to inside in which case you need to use the (outer) diameter minus the Stroke Weight (for each, or twice the Stroke Weight for both), or as a pair of filled circles where you need to use the diameter corresponding to the middle of the visible blue part in which case you can use the sum of all 4 circles and divide by 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for helping. I have one step more to get the end result. 

1) I created an auxiliary circle with the size W=H from both circles.

2) I created an anchor point on the auxiliary circle with help from a guideline.

3) Move the smaller circle down till the anchor point snapped.

Kind regards,

Jop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Jop; and thank you for sharing.

When I tried it out (I sometimes follow the rule of playing it before saying it), I just snapped the centre of the circle to wherever it would coincide with the auxiliary circle itself, holding Shift when Dragging ensuring its being moved vertically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob and Jop,

I tried this also with the blue circle but the center is not snapping on the auxiliary circle.

What can I do to make this work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bert,

Are you using the Smart Guides with suitable settings, you can have a look at the first link to the Dutch Help page here?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/align-small-and-big-circle-to-each-other/m-p/12130893#M28...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines