Exit

Align small and big circle to each other

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellooooo,

Who can help me with the following?

I created two circles one small and one bigger.
If I drag the small circle to the bigger circle this will snap only on the basic smart guidelines.

The result where I am looking for is the small circle under the big circle. I Have uploaded an screenshot to make the question more clear.

I aligned the to circles on the bottom and looking for an option to snap the wo circles to each other. (see the screenshot with the note)

Hope someone can help me 🙂

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieke,

You can, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) With the Line Segment Tool ClickDrag between the two centres to create a line between them;

2) Switch to the Selection Tool and select the small circle, then Click it at the intersection with the line and ClickDrag it along the line to snap to the intersection with the large circle.

Before 2) you can select the small circle and switch to the Rotate Tool, then Drag one of the Anchor Points to snap to the line from 1), and then ClickDrag by that Anchor Point in 2); you can also rotate the large circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

Thanks for the reply.

I do not exactly understand what you mean with the line between the circles and how the smart line can help with this.

See the attachment what I have done.

Maybe you can show me what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieke,

You can use this,

https://helpx.adobe.com/nl/illustrator/using/rulers-grids-guides-crop-marks.html

and this,

https://helpx.adobe.com/nl/illustrator/using/drawing-simple-lines-shapes.html

and then do this:

1) With the Line Segment Tool ClickDrag between the two centres to create a line between them;

2) Switch to the Selection Tool and select the small circle, then Click it at the intersection with the line and ClickDrag it along the line to snap to the intersection with the large circle.

Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your method but the small circle is not snapping on the bigger circle. I can only move the smaller circle over the line that I created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieke,

Are you able to ClickDrag with the Line Segment Tool = gereedschap Lijnsegment from the centre of the small circle to the centre of the large circle, as in 1) and shown with the blue line? The Line Segment Tool can snap to both with the help of Smart Guides = Slimme hulplijnen (Smart Guides saying centrum), see the description in the two links (in Dutch).

If you have succeeded with 1), are you able to select the small circle and then snap to the intersection with the blue line (Smart Guides saying doorsnede) and then ClickDrag along the blue line as shown by the red arrow in 2) (Smart Guides saying pad) until the small circles reaches the large circle (Smart Guides saying doorsnede)?

Edit: Slightly eloborated description with more Dutch terms for clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieke,

Now that this is really the Align Circles thread, there is also this way, still using the Smart Guides and the Line Segment Tool, for the Dutch terms see the other post, and see the image below:

1) With the Line Segment Tool ClickDrag between the two centres to create a (blue) line between them; this is the same beginning;

2) ClickDrag the small circle by its rightmost Anchor Point to snap to the leftmost Anchor Point of the large circle (the original position of the small circle is shown in dotted line);

3) Select both circles, then switch to the Rotation Tool and click the centre of the large circle to make it the centre of rotation, then ClickDrag the centre of the small circle to snap to the (blue) line.

In this way, the two circles are rotated, and they have coinciding Anchor Points where they meet.

This is the same end result as you could get from my first post with the rotation of the circles that I mentioned.

There are also (even) sillier ways to do it.

Click Here to see in Chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are good plugins for that. See this video for example

Snap to collision tools by Astute Graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, AstuteGraphics snap to collision is really the best option if you are trying to do this. They have a 14 day free trial, so download and check it out yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do it this way:

• Use the Selection tool (black arrow), not the Direct Selection tool
  • Deselect both
  • With the shapes deselected, drag the edge of one ellipse until it touches the other
  • Smart guides will tell you when they touch, and the cursor will change from black to white

C4084BF4-B04B-4AB2-A172-57D0AE257BBE.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieke,

You can also have a look at this similar thread,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/align-and-snap-shapes-to-each-other/td-p/12088677

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lieke,

Based on a new reading of your original question, I believe you just need to have the small circle snapped to the bottom of the big circle at some angle.

In that case you can just ClickDrag the small circle by its upper Anchor Point to snap to the bottom Anchor Point of the big circle, and then you can (Group and) rotate the pair as desired; if you wish to keep the big circle in place, you can click its centre with the Rotation Tool before rotating, or if the desired position is just approximate you can just move the pair round as deisred.

And if you wish to have a specific angle between the centres, you can set that angle in connexion with the rotation as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines