• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align to Key Object not working in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why change what has always worked so well?

Trying to vertically/horizontally align objects to separate them equally no longer works the way it has for the last 20 years, so, now what?  When I try to align object it is requiring a "key object", this is not helpful at all and please tell me there's a way to re-set this back to a legacy setting? 

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Hi Everyone,

We have fixed this bug in our latest release – v 24.2.1 which is available worldwide now. Thanks for your patience on this.

Please note that after upgrading you might still see that Align To sets itself to Align to Key Object. If you see this, please manually set the Align To to the required setting, and this reported bug will not happen again. You'll need to this one time only.

The reason Align To might get set to Key Object after update is because Ai remembers your last Alig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update Illustrator to v24.2.1 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40681714-align-to-key-object-automatic-selection-in-align-p

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed the bug with Align tool in the latest release. Please update Illustrator to v24.2.1 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40681714-align-to-key-o...

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update Illustrator to v24.2.1 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40681714-align-to-key-o...

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed the bug with Align tool in the latest release. Please update Illustrator to v24.2.1 to get this fixed.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. We've fixed the bug with Align tool in the latest release. Please update Illustrator to v24.2.1 to get this fixed.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 177 Replies 177
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen,

seit dem Update auf die  Version 24.2 funktioniert bei mir das Werkzeug vertikal zentriert verteilen der Palette Ausrichten nicht mehr. Hat jmd. ähnliche Erfahrungen? Vielen Dank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check first that Align is to Selection not Key object or Artboards, as it selects those other options by default.

If it does not the job, please attach an example  before/after. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the Reply,

I am not quite sure, wether I understood correctly … the problem occurs with the horizontal zentriert verteilen-Tool, too … attached, as requested 3 examples. Thank you!

Bild o1.pngBild 02.pngBild 03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in this 24.2 version where the Align to selection or to Key Object is not hold.

Select your items and open the icon (bottom right of the Align panel, (panel full open showing Options) and select the Align to Selection or to key object and then press the Align type you wish.

Also when you select several items the last one is activated as the Key object, when the Align to Key object is the default.

To correct it, click in the key object you wish, it will turn into the key object now.

Or to avoid that, select first Align to Selection, then 

It's a minor glitch that will repaired in a few days probably.

glitch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das ist ein Bug. Die Programmierer arbeiten schon an einem Fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen Dank für die Info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The align function is not working correctly,

Vers 24.2

Align Top aligns to Bottom

Align Left aligns to Right

Latest version was OK but suddenly the 2017 error appears again in this latest 2020 version

- not very Industrial Standard ! - Can someone contact the team behind...I for sure can not get in contact, I'm only limited to paying 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug and the engineers are already working on it.

The engineers can always be contacted via http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest update to Illustrator v24.2.1 has resolved this issue, the alignment is back to normal as far as I can tell from my end.  I did have to reboot my computer to see the update in Adobe Creative Cloud desktop, after installing the alignment tool is working fine. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour tout le monde, je suggère sur les futures versions d'Illustrator la possibilité de pouvoir paramétrer par défaut les options d'alignement sans devoir toujours aller dans la boite de dialogue. Là on ne sait jamais trop ce que ça va donner et on perd du temps. Merci ! 🙂

(Hello everyone, I suggest on future versions of Illustrator the possibility of being able to configure the alignment options by default without having to always go to the dialog box. We never know what it will give and we waste time. Thank you ! :))

trator.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a bug in latest version of Illustrator. Team is working on it.

The team can always be contacted via http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok merci beaucoup pour votre réponse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just run the new Illustrator update (24.2) and can't get my head around the new 'Distribute Spacing'.

Previously, if I wanted to space elements on my cardboard equidistantly I would select all of them and press the button, this would create equal space between all of them. Now, when I select the elements, one of those becomes the 'key' and when I press the button to space them out - all of the elements shift to the 'key' and sit next to each other rather than spacing equidistantly.

If I remove the 'key' element I get an error message, which says: "Please select a key in the current document."

Am I being a dope and missing something relatively easy or does anyone else have the same problem or even better, a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. In the button "Align to" select "Align to selection".

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A NEW ISSUE NEVER SEEN BEFORE

WHEN I HAVE SAY 20 OF A GRAPHIC OR WORD AND I WANT TO SPACE EQUALLY THEM DOWN THE WORK PAGE LAYOUT - ONE OF THEM IS SUPER HIGHLIGHTED AND ALL THE OTHERS JUMP ON TOP OF THAT ONE.  THEY DO NOT SPACE OUT FROM SAY TOP TO BOTTOM EQUALLY AS THEY ALWAYS HAVE.

THEY ARE OK AS LONG AS THEY ARE ALL SPREAD OUT AND I USE ALIGN LEFT, RIGHT, CENTER ETC.

BUT THE SPACING IS ALL MESSED UP.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Align panel has a bug and the engineers are working on it.

Basically the option "Align to" is  affected. You might need to select a differnet option there and maybe revert and repeat your selection until it maybe sticks (for the remainder of the session)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issues. this is not workable in my case. Any change to go one version back in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines