Highlighted

Aligntment Tool bugged for grouped objects?

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I missed some patchnotes which drastically changed the Alignment Tool or a bug, but my grouped object does not want to 'vertically align-to-top' with another object (used for alignment) I've been using the whole time without issues. 

When I press the 'align-to-top' button my grouped object goes to the very bottom of the document. Like the workable space, not the artboard. When trying 'vertically align-to-bottom' it does the same thing, but sends the object to the top of the document. Vertically centering just moves it above the head-object, all other alignment options seem to work fine.

Is there a problem with Ai or am I doing something wrong?

Right, it had an invisible guide that was locked into the grouped object. Annoying that it's even possible to accidentally drag out a guide and group it with objects without ever seeing it or getting any visual indicator. Anyway, thank you for the clue.

Topics

Bug, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Aligntment Tool bugged for grouped objects?

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I missed some patchnotes which drastically changed the Alignment Tool or a bug, but my grouped object does not want to 'vertically align-to-top' with another object (used for alignment) I've been using the whole time without issues. 

When I press the 'align-to-top' button my grouped object goes to the very bottom of the document. Like the workable space, not the artboard. When trying 'vertically align-to-bottom' it does the same thing, but sends the object to the top of the document. Vertically centering just moves it above the head-object, all other alignment options seem to work fine.

Is there a problem with Ai or am I doing something wrong?

Right, it had an invisible guide that was locked into the grouped object. Annoying that it's even possible to accidentally drag out a guide and group it with objects without ever seeing it or getting any visual indicator. Anyway, thank you for the clue.

Topics

Bug, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can remember a similar behaviour in some older versions of Illustrator, but it only occurred when you were trying to align a selection with at least one guide involved and if the Use Preview Bounds option was turned on in the Align palette menu.

Perhaps it is a related issue. Can you share your sample .ai file with some instructions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved now.

We'd appreciate if you mark the helpful response correct once your issue is resolved. You may also share any other workaround you might have used. This will help other users with the similar situation.
If you still have issues, please share a small video of your workflow. It'll help us understand your issue better and help you accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, yes my issue has been solved. Though there's still room for improvement on Adobe's side. Problem was that I accidentally managed to drag a guide (which were set on invisible) and grouped it with other objects. Both of these things shouldn't happen in the first place, or at least not without warning or visual indicator. Then the program bugged out when trying to 'Align to top' because of the guide.

To be fair, it's little things like this that make me look for alternatives for Illustrator. Almost every project I have some sort of silly issue or annoying behaviour that I wouldn't expect from a software with this pricetag.

Anyway, I marked the correct solution.

Have a nice day

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't forget to mention it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0