Highlighted

Allow Free Distort like Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, you can pull an image's control handles around to your heart's content, and fine tune the distortion to line up with a perspective grid. In Illustrator, you can only distort the bounding box of the whole shape, so once you move a single control handle, you lose control of one or more corners of the image, making precise distortions almost impossible. The best we have right now is the Effect > Distort & Transform > Free Distort tool, but there's no preview, so again, you can't line up the shape with a perspective grid.

Please make Illustrator's Free Distort tool like Photoshop's!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Allow Free Distort like Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, you can pull an image's control handles around to your heart's content, and fine tune the distortion to line up with a perspective grid. In Illustrator, you can only distort the bounding box of the whole shape, so once you move a single control handle, you lose control of one or more corners of the image, making precise distortions almost impossible. The best we have right now is the Effect > Distort & Transform > Free Distort tool, but there's no preview, so again, you can't line up the shape with a perspective grid.

Please make Illustrator's Free Distort tool like Photoshop's!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 07, 2011 5
Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that. It's a glaring omission from the program.  (And, no, the new Perspective Tool is not a solution... that's just overkill.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2011 1
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, there is that, too. But like you say, there's so much overhead in setting up the perspective grid, I never use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2011 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree.

Can't Adobe's Photoshop team spend a few months working on Illustrator and make it more Photoshoppy?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2011 2
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur.

And if the Illustrator team ever get around to evaluating their basic Path functionalities they might also drop the current stupid (yes, that adjective is provocative, but in my opinion justified) path-closing behaviour of eliminating the first point’s backward bezier handle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2011 2
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any stupid path-closing behavior in Illustrator... are you sure you don't mean InDesign? In InDesign, you have to pull the closing bezier handle backwards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2011 0
Engaged ,
Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of it. I always have to adjust my first segment all over again if I close the path. Are you saying there's a way around it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2011 1
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm away from my computer for the next several days, so I can't look at the path closing behavior of Illustrator right now. But I don't think I've ever noticed anything odd about it, save for the annoying way it doesn't constrain the final bezier handle to the same angle of the first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2011 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save for the annoying way it doesn't constrain the final bezier handle to the same angle of the first.

I think what you describe might pretty much is what I meant; when one starts a path with a curve point that point’s backward handle is destroyed on closing the path and one has to drag out the complete handles for that point anew if one wants it to stay a curve point.

Jeff Talmage has provided a Script for closing a path with maintaining the first point’s handle, but the Illustrator team really should just make that standard behaviour in my opinion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2011 0
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see what you mean. You're identifying that handle as the "backward handle", not describing the handle as backward.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2011 0
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a tedious but effective workaround: Copy and paste the object into Photoshop as a path, use the superior distortion tools there, and then export it back into Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2011 1
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2012 0