Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alpha channel not working for placed image

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am trying to place an image with transparency created with alpha channel in my artwork, but the alpha channel won't work and in the links panel the transparency is set to "no".

In InDesign the alpha channel works fine, so I know there is no problem with the image / alpha channel per se.

Upon placing the image (TIF) into Illustrator, I am not getting any import options, although I have checked the box for this option. Are there none available?

Have found a work around - (deleting the background), but it bugs me that I can't work with alpha channels, so it would be great to understand why this doesn't work in this case above.

Thanks in advance!

/Charlotta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see illustrator support alpha channels in illustrator. It would help my workflow. Seems like illustrator does support it. Although illustrator puts it behind the artboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how you mean that - Alpha channels in PNGs?

Or alpha channels in general? Have you tried out opacity masks?

Anyway: Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I have tried several files with alpha channels and its ths same each time. 

Joey301_0-1611262232990.png

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your version is not CC2018, then please create a new thread and tell us step by step what you are doing, the exact nature of the file and what exactly happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to use layer masks. You can use the Alpha channels to create the layer masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines