• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchor point glitch during removing unnecessary anchor points/Adobe illustrator (24.1)

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ones I trying to remove unnecessary anchor points in symmetrical shape with straight lines and corners, I get this weird anchor points behavior.
As you can see on the video while I removed the top anchor point - the nearby points take immediately the curvy shape. When I remove the second point (on the bottom) nearby anchor points stay the same without any curvy transformation.

Can someone explaing me why this is happaning or may be has someone the same problem? This thing is extremely annoying!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Hi there,

Thank you for your time and patience. We have tried to address this issue in our latest build of 24.1.2. If you are not already on v 24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another video of this problem. So it's something that keep bothering me all the time 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like the points on top are probably already curved points and the point you're removing is actually keeping the line's appearance of being straight by connecting the two points. The ones on the bottom are probably actually straight points themselves which is why the line stays straight when the excess point is removed. You can test this theory by selecting one of the top points using the direct selection tool (white arrow). If you see bezier handles spring out from those points when you selct them then that is proof that they were curved points all along. If they are curved points then the behavior you're describing is totally normal. You can change the curved points to straight points by clicking on the selected points with the Anchor Point Tool which is found under the Pen Tool in Illustrator's default tool panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one more video of the process how I get to this problem. From the begining I created only straight corners avoding any curvy corners. I used the Transform tool to make this shape symetrical and then Exped and merged all shapes in one. As a result I have some usless anchor points in the cente, which I wanna remove. However, as soon as I start removing them one of them somehow makes line curvy. So originally all lines and corners were straight without any bezier curvy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot recreate what is happening to you using Illustrator CC 2020 with Mojave. What version of Illustrator and what operating system are you using? Have you tried the test of the points I suggested in my first post? When working with the pen tool it is always possible to inadvertently create a curved point by using too much pressure on the mouse. The points will still appear like they're straight points as long as they are not dragged on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the lates Illustrator and MacOS Catalina 10.15.3

Yes, I did what you suggest and here is another video how it looks. On 00:10 you can see how suddenly the corners get that bezier curvy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see a difference between the 24.1 versions and previous Illustrator (CC) versions

Corner Anchor points become smooth when a point inbetween is removed.

Delete anchor point.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, because I thought that I'm getting crazy)) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are more unexpected results when removing anchor points in 24.1

This is an example in 24.1 of a circle with a left or right anchor point removed.

Removing the left one gives a surprising good result, but removing the right point gives the result as in previous versions

Delete Anchor 24.point 1.png

Delete Anchor CC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are able to replicate it at our end and it is currently under review. I'll share an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is so not practical to use, simple actions take unnecessarily complicated steps to perform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Héctor David32622071q0ku,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), description of your workflow, and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3QqdVi7), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for your time and patience. We have tried to address this issue in our latest build of 24.1.2. If you are not already on v 24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. in illustrator 27.5 on a macbook pro m1 max with ventura I have the same problem. a normal line suddenly becomes a bezier curve if I edit its anchor points. makes illustrator almost unusable. 

Regards, Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us the exact steps and provide screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines