• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Ann] Design effect - image made of perfectly arranged circles

Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever wondered how to perfectly fill an outline with touching circles? I did -- after seeing the example image in Solving design effect - image made of perfectly arranged circles.

It took me a while to get the proper calculations, but -- Here It Is! A Javascript, written for Illustrator CS4 (it might work on other versions as well), that fills a selected outline with circles. Download zipped script from my site: #1 http://www.jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill.zip #2 (https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7cf1dee2-08bc-435f-6fbc-546d36937712) unpack if necessary, and put it in your Illustrator Scripts folder to make it available the next time you run Illy, or anywhere else (you have to browse for it each time).

Select any path -- but no live text, please; you have to convert it to outlines and select each character in turn. Then run the script.

It displays a simple dialog, where you can set a maximum and minimum circle size as a percentage of the selected object size. In addition, you can select either a plain basic color, or select any of your current Swatch Groups; in that case, each of the circles are filled with a random color from that group.

The script may take a while to run. Usually, only a couple of seconds for a simple rectangle, but it may run into minutes for objects with lots of curves and/or holes. I didn't have the guts to run it on a vectorized world map, to recreate Mario "Quasimondo" Klingemann's Foam World Map; but, in theory? Possible.

This image only took a few minutes:

Screen shot 2010-10-02 at 1.13.36 AM.png

Enjoy, everyone!

{Script Download Link option Updated by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Lisapru, with a little help from pixxxel schubser in the Illustrator Scripting​ forum, I've updated the script and uploaded it again onto my site. Check if it behaves correctly now.

http://jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Hi @TeeStore5E0C and @Long98A1,

Thank you for reaching out. I have added a second option to download the script created by OP @Jongware.

I hope it helps.

Thanks & regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Works great in CS5 here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I download this script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for so generously sharing your talent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: www.jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill-1.1.zip

1. The Relative Size determination wasn't really very good. Fixed. (Hopefully)

2. Holes in polygons threw everything off and were handled quite badly. Now proper (non-self intersecting!) polygons with holes in them are properly triangulated -- code ought to be a bit faster ... A propos: every single path inside an outer one is considered a 'hole', regardless of what Illustrator says. Don't try with two overlapping paths either; only use a simple outer path, with simple holes -- something like a '0' or '8' shape is good.

3. Added a useful parameter: minimal distance between two circles. This is only between circles, they still may touch edges.

Here is a sample: a big 'A' over a big 'B'. Separated, then filled 'A' only parts with greens, 'B' only parts with reds, and parts that are in both with browns. Then cut out the entire combined path out of the background rectangle and filled that with yellows.

(I meant to create a Protanopia-type Color Blindness test, but I guess I should have checked what they actually looked like before trying Still, it's an interesting image.)

Screen shot 2010-10-02 at 10.01.03 PM.png

.. as is this

Screen shot 2010-10-02 at 10.15.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot 2010-10-02 at 11.31.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is France, where is the United Kingdom and – of capital importance – where is Texel on that map?

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is Texel, Kurt:

Texel.png

I don't know how you missed it.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no pleasing some people Texel is on that map, but your screen resolution is just too low! (And if you believe that, you might also believe the same goes for France and the Brit Isles.)

Here it is, in red; I also marked my own geospatial location with a green dot.

Screen shot 2010-10-03 at 6.27.51 PM.png

Technical note:

By the way, it seems I wasn't entirely accurate with my statement "now polygons with holes are properly handled." I'm working on a new version where -- again -- they should really be processed right ... If I don't make any significant progress with the next few problems I'm tackling now, I'll put this version online as well. In the mean time, just don't try "complicated" polygons.

"Properly handling polygons" is important: I determined that randomly plotting circles inside the bounding box rectangle yields downright atrocious slow run times! For anything more complex than a rectangle, a lot of space inside the bounding box is just empty space. So I divide the original object into triangles and then place a random point inside one of these triangles -- much, much faster, since now any random point will always be inside the original polygon! But it requires me to (correctly) decompose any polygon first ... Thank you Dave Eberly! (All that's left is writing a Javascript implementation...)

I've found another slow-down reason: now that each point gets correctly placed inside the polygon, it still has to check the distance to each and every edge -- that's because a circle may not grow any larger than the distance to the nearest edge. There are several ways to circumvent this ... or so I think. I'm looking into BSP trees -- or maybe quadtrees --, and I might as well find out if I can get a working a polygon midline algorithm.

If I can get this fixed, it might be worthwhile to take a look at speeding up the point-to-circle test: "is any random point not inside an existing circle, and far away of it to get drawn at a sufficient size (plus any inter-circle spacing)?"

Rest assured, all of this is actually really big fun for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A thought regarding your issue of checking distance - If there is a maximum circle size, can you limit the distance each circle checks to that? Maybe not the best answer, but it would save at least a good chunk of the time, right?

I'm sure it's just that simple, anyhow.  😉

Thanks for this bit of awesomeness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh absolutely!

I wasn't sure on how to proceed with speeding up the main time-guzzling parts -- checking for the outer edges, and checking for circle-circle distance -- so I asked on Usenet in the comp.graphics.algorithms group. The regulars there are a varied bunch, experts in just about any theoretical part re: graphics. I got two good leads already: creating a Voronoi diagram of the outer polygon, and using Possion Disk Sampling to generate the circles themselves.

I'm now reading this very good article on the latter, and hoping to be able to adjust its sample code to Illustrator's Javascript. At first glance it doesn't even need to check (!!), because each new circle is generated right next to an already existing one ... (This idea came to me last night, but it's good to hear it already existed, so I can casually drop the proper term into my conversation, and see some ready-to-use code as well.)

Graphic theory is utterly fascinating -- my script might be a nice introduction for (hopefully) the few Illy users interested in the backgrounds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2015 Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you JW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware!

Just found the script a few days ago and i want to use it for a Ishihara Colortest.

Everything works fine - either filling the background with cutted out letters.

I get this error message: Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-30 um 13.16.52.png

Can you please help me asap? I need it for a project on Tuesday, 1st November.

Thanks a lot! Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

What do you do to get that error message? Looking at your images, it seems to work correctly.

Perhaps there is a single stray point somewhere in your selection – a "path" that consists of a single point only? That could explain the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this in CS3 when I run this script:

Screen shot 2010-11-15 at 1.23.54 AM.png

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick peek in the ESTK under Illustrator seems to indicate CS3 can't script swatch groups ...

The idea of using a swatch group was to get random colored circles -- if you don't need that anyway, I can take out the entire swatch group selection to make a CS3-compatible version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be excellent, thanks.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I made a quick change in the script -- now it checks for a version "pre-14" (which is, so it seems, the official name of CS4). If so, it doesn't attempt to add color swatch groups and always will use Black. I have no CS3 over here, so I can't tell if that's the only thing that needs changing. You could wait for tomorrow or test it yourself: http://www.jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill-1-2.zip

Jay: creepy! If I find one like that crawling around I'll make sure to trap it in a box and mail it to ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it still doesn't work. I think it's the same error message, line 20. By the way, that's a dud link: should be CircleFill-1.2, not 1-2.

Thanks,

Peter

Message was edited by: tromboniator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three minutes behind a real CS3 and I got it. Just ignore color groups for pre-CS4 versions ...

Nope, it still doesn't work. I think it's the same error message, line 20.

Yeah, changed it at one place where it should have been the other.

By the way, that's a dud link: should be CircleFill-1.2, not 1-2.

Yeah, it was gettin' late!

http://www.jongware.com/binaries/CircleFill-1.2.zip is fixed, ought to work now for CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wunderbar! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naraa5CBE_0-1623424883863.png

i have this problem.please advice me and thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jongware,

Thanks for circles and beetlebum -- great together. (Got to get back to real work now!)

Untitled-1beetle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to use this in CS5 but when I change the text to outlines then i try and run the script I get this notice and then it never worksScreen shot 2011-06-30 at 11.42.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can't test with '5, so it can be just about everything.

Can you test if it works with a simple shape -- a circle or a rectangle? If it does, there is something different about the convert-text-to-outline system in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines