• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying gradients to live text

Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've learned that the way to apply a gradient to live text is to assign no fill at the character level, then add a second fill and apply a gradient to it. I never knew I could achieve the same effect by converting live text to a compound shape, then applying the gradient directly. Has this option always existed unbeknownst to me, or did it become a new feature somewhere along the way? And is there any reason not to use this compound shape method instead of the (slightly more cumbersome) new fill technique?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

In a compound shape text stays text.

The method itself is simpler than using the appearance panel.

But the original fill stay inside the compound shape as well and would need to be deleted (in order to make certain that it doesn't show)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

It exists in earlier versions, but I wouldn't consider it obvious either. Making a compound shape out of a single object is rather unintuitive and the command to do so is rather hidden.

I've never seen this method advertised. So maybe in some communities it is a widely used alternative, but not in the ones that I frequently take part in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to remove the fill at character level, just give it a new one at the object level, above the Characters.

The reason not to convert your text to a compound shape is that it would be no longer text.

None of ths is a new feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a compound shape text stays text.

The method itself is simpler than using the appearance panel.

But the original fill stay inside the compound shape as well and would need to be deleted (in order to make certain that it doesn't show)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, of course. A compound shape is an appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you Expand the Compound Shape, you get outlined text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug,

And the original fill takes less kindly to its being covered and tries hard to show (that it is still there), so it is always safer to take it out (or ouch).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I see. Sneaky of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation, Monika. Has this Compound Shape method always been an alternative to the Add New Fill method? I stumbled on it by accident just before I posted this question and had never heard of it before.

In my little tests, I notice that the original fill color of text (the color assigned before type is converted to a Compound Shape and given a grdient) is not nearly as insistent on being seen as the Character level fill when a new fill is applied to create the gradient. In fact, the only way I've been able to tell that the original fill survives when the text is converted to a Compound Shape is to release the shape. When it's released, the original color is restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It exists in earlier versions, but I wouldn't consider it obvious either. Making a compound shape out of a single object is rather unintuitive and the command to do so is rather hidden.

I've never seen this method advertised. So maybe in some communities it is a widely used alternative, but not in the ones that I frequently take part in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, Ms. Gause, a genuinely informative pleasure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My pleasure!

And thank you for your kind words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines