Highlighted

Artboard boundery & preview

Participant ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Working in Ai CS6 here, creating a cover page for a pamphlet in A5 size.

I've set my artboard to the size I want with a bleed on each side (for printing).

When trying different design version, I copy my artboard in the same Ai file and work on my design changes on the new artboard.

Many of my shapes are going further than my artboard boundaries and bleed boundaries. Thus when looking at my work, I don't see the A5 format, but the entire board with all the shapes sticking out on each side.

I've tried the different preview modes "overprint" and "pixel" but it doesn't impact that aspect. So far the only way of looking at the work without seeing the shapes off limits is to export.

Is there a work around ?

Thank you !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Artboard boundery & preview

Participant ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Working in Ai CS6 here, creating a cover page for a pamphlet in A5 size.

I've set my artboard to the size I want with a bleed on each side (for printing).

When trying different design version, I copy my artboard in the same Ai file and work on my design changes on the new artboard.

Many of my shapes are going further than my artboard boundaries and bleed boundaries. Thus when looking at my work, I don't see the A5 format, but the entire board with all the shapes sticking out on each side.

I've tried the different preview modes "overprint" and "pixel" but it doesn't impact that aspect. So far the only way of looking at the work without seeing the shapes off limits is to export.

Is there a work around ?

Thank you !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 21, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are workarounds and only workarounds at the moment. i think an artboard preview is being worked on for a future version though, finally. see this thread for a scripting solution for now:

Re: [JS] Introducing Artboard Preview

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2018 0
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or this thread for some more hand-made suggestions:

Shortcut to toggle hide artwork outside of artboard?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2018 0
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Doug,

Thanks for the links.

Wow, Adobe didn't figure that one out yet.

The scripting options, I would inter that in my MacOS terminal ?

Alexandre

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2018 0
Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, you save to a plain text file with extension .jsx, then run it from File > Scripts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2018 2
Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug_A_Roberts,

do you perhaps have a working link. Adobe still hasnt fixed this forum. All old links are dead now (Gret work by the back-end devs)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @schroef,

Please do not dig out older threads unnecessarily!

But if you really can't ignore these topics: please leave the latest information.
There is a presentation mode in the current versions of Illustrator. You no longer need a script. You can also crop the view temporarily. You can find both commands in the menu: View

To your answer in the other thread: It is true that many scripts were incorrectly adopted when switching to the new forum software. Often only the counter is missing [i]

And please don't blame the script writers from before 2016. They didn't deserve it! Their scripts worked until the changeover.

If you can, help restore and preserve the ancient treasures. Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
schroef LATEST
Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not blaming script writers. Im blaming web devs for a bad product. The search on this forum is completly broken for months. There is a way to fix it. In the address bar simply change advanced=false to true and you are able to search properly.

Why can we dig in old threads and resurrect them? Im on a old OS so not everybody can update.  Not everybody is using 2020cc, i think you should know that as well.  Another point is, this script can be handy for other needs as well.

We cant restore the ancient treasures unless the search is fixed. I dont get why they dont fix this forum?!
See below the difference when doing a search on this forum, simply by changing the url a bit.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 17.49.21.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-27 at 17.49.10.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0