• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artboard Export for Screens custom file name?

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you specify a specific file name when using Export for Screens to export an artboard? I want to do this, but I don't want the artboard name as the file name. I want to use my own custom file name for the exported file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

you can change the file name by adding something before it, writin it in the prefix section when Exporting for Screens. that changes the file name and youll have two different artboards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Save for Web instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about what is now called "Save For Web (Legacy)", I was purposely looking for an alternative because of the habit of this feature to insert hyphens into the file name - which is often helpful when actually using it to save for web. But in this case, I need to use it to save a bunch of layer configurations for later use as video graphics, and I need to use a specific file naming convention. I also looked at "Export As..." but, as far as I can tell, it doesn't remember settings (I have to navigate to the folder each time, click on "Use Artboards", turn off anti-aliasing).

So, to resolve this I would need to do one of the following:

• Get "Export for Screens" to allow me to enter my own file name
  • Get "Save For Web (legacy)" to not insert hyphens
  • Get "Export As..." to remember settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import AI file as is into After Effects as vector, with layers intact - if that's an option for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I just need flat pngs for a live video application (TriCaster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred,

I am afraid that Illustrator does not have this feature right now, however, you can raise a feature request here: Adobe Illustrator Feedback

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is jarring to leave the Adobe website where I already have a paying account to go to an external website that requires me to signup and sign-in with a new username in order to leave feedback about Adobe products.. I appreciate the staff member's answer that was honest and straightforward. But we shouldn't have to go to an external website to leave feedback.These forums are where the product and engineering teams should be looking for genuine feedback. Thumbs down on user surveys too.

Thank you. Sorry if i come across rude. Just saying things as I feel straight up as I can. Genuine best regards to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started to rename my artboards to the filename I want, so that when I "Export for Screens" at say 5 different scales I don't have to rename 5 different files. The filename will take the name of the Artboard. This has the advantage also that if I have multiple artboards in a document, things are named in a more organized way. I'd still like to be able to define the filename, but this works for me for now.

If you are not familiar, there is an Artboards panel. Window => Artboards. That's where you can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Forums are for help and support purposes. There are multiple threads on forums, that is why for bugs and feature requests we have a dedicated space so that the engineering team can have direct access to them.

On the UserVoice page, people can add their feature request and like-minded people can upvote it. Higher the number of votes means more chances of the feature to be integrated into the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, the best and easiest way. really helpful idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can change the file name by adding something before it, writin it in the prefix section when Exporting for Screens. that changes the file name and youll have two different artboards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines