Highlighted

Artboards saved to folder as eps files blank?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved out artboards as eps files in Illustrator 2020 they apprear to work when you view them in the folder but when you open them they are blank?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Artboards saved to folder as eps files blank?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved out artboards as eps files in Illustrator 2020 they apprear to work when you view them in the folder but when you open them they are blank?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 10, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you save them in a non-obsolete format like ai or pdf or svg, does the artwork stay?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thay work as a pdf file and separate svg files are good can't save out as separate ai files and same with eps?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 0
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Illustrator file with two or more artboards, when saved as .ai is saved as an .ai file with all the artboards included, and no, it does not create separated (split) .ai files each with one artboard.

With .eps is the same.

When saving artwork is also saved, not lost and artboards should not appear blank if they have some content or artwork.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 0
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe what you have in the file and how exactly you save the EPS?

Which options and where exactly do you save them?

And then how do you open them?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. When I save an artboard as an .eps file in Illustrator 2020, then open the .eps file, the artboard is completely blank. I do not have this problem with saving to any other formats. 

My "Save As" .eps settings are set to default: 

bethdevivo_0-1591103579974.png

I typically send .eps to printers using my company's logo. Since I can't save an .eps, my current workaround is to save as .pdf or just save the artboard as a new .ai file and send that. It's not a perfect fix, though, because not every printer has CC2020, and some use software that requires .eps instead of .pdf.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the printer requires EPS because "they don't have CC 2020", then it doesn't make sense to send them an "Illustrator EPS 2020". Send EPS 3 instead. Does that work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that works.. Thanks. I tried saving as other legacy formats; EPS 3 is the only one that worked. Is this a bug or is there a setting deep in the menus that I need to fix?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be a bug.

But in your case it really doesn't matter, because all you need is this EPS3.

Please read about how it works: https://www.vektorgarten.de/eps-file-format-zombie.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link; great information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 1
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Resources