Highlighted

Automatic Save Recovery Data NOT working

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working for about an hour and had a crash.  However,  Illustrator did not attempt to recover the file I had been working on.

Automatically Save Recover Data Every:  2 mintues is selected.

Turn off Data Recovery for completex documents was also selected, but this document consisted of about 100 rectanges, 20 lines, and 30 text elements - is that complex?

Also it give the folder as "/Users/...ences/Adobe Illustrator 22 Settings/en_US/DataRecovery.

Three stupid things about this:

1) The directory is truncated so I have no idea where to find it.  Make this a text field that can scroll so I can actually read the path.

2) If I click"Choose" it does not select the current Auto Record folder - if it did, then I could at least find it. 

3) I am using Adobe Illustrator 24.1.2 on the Mac (OS version 10.15.4).  Why does it have "Adobe Illustrator 22 Settings" in the Data Recovery path?

The Adobe Illustrator 22 folder does not exist on my computer.  I searched my computer for a "Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings/en_US/DataRecover" folder and found that.   And its empty.

Does auto recovery / saving acutally work in Illustrator or do I need to put my Apple Watch on a repeating 10 mintue timer reminding me to save?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

The default folder is in your preferences folder inside your user folder.

File Recovery is NOT a backup solution. It's a last straw option. And it might fail.

If you can't remember to make a backup or save your file regularly, take a look at the plugin Autosaviour, which  can do that for you. It will save an AI file. There is a free version of that plugin available, that provides 1 backup for your file. The paid version can make a few more backups.

Topics

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Automatic Save Recovery Data NOT working

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working for about an hour and had a crash.  However,  Illustrator did not attempt to recover the file I had been working on.

Automatically Save Recover Data Every:  2 mintues is selected.

Turn off Data Recovery for completex documents was also selected, but this document consisted of about 100 rectanges, 20 lines, and 30 text elements - is that complex?

Also it give the folder as "/Users/...ences/Adobe Illustrator 22 Settings/en_US/DataRecovery.

Three stupid things about this:

1) The directory is truncated so I have no idea where to find it.  Make this a text field that can scroll so I can actually read the path.

2) If I click"Choose" it does not select the current Auto Record folder - if it did, then I could at least find it. 

3) I am using Adobe Illustrator 24.1.2 on the Mac (OS version 10.15.4).  Why does it have "Adobe Illustrator 22 Settings" in the Data Recovery path?

The Adobe Illustrator 22 folder does not exist on my computer.  I searched my computer for a "Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings/en_US/DataRecover" folder and found that.   And its empty.

Does auto recovery / saving acutally work in Illustrator or do I need to put my Apple Watch on a repeating 10 mintue timer reminding me to save?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

File Recovery is NOT a backup solution. It's a last straw option. And it might fail.

If you can't remember to make a backup or save your file regularly, take a look at the plugin Autosaviour, which  can do that for you. It will save an AI file. There is a free version of that plugin available, that provides 1 backup for your file. The paid version can make a few more backups.

Topics

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you Monika,

I just wanted to reply in hoping the developers see this message.

First of all, the folder is still messed up as it is not using the right version - there is an error there and perhaps this is why the recover file was not written.

Secondly, having a "might fail" when saving recovery information is crazy.  OK - so the last 2 minute recovery file got corruppted on the crash - what about the one that was saved 4 mintues ago?  You should at least be also to recove that one.

And having a 3rd-party auto save plugin is just lazy.  Please walk across the hallway and see what the After Effects team has done with their auto-save.  This is what I was expecting from Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to talk to developers, post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Not having your own backup procedure is lazy. It is you and you alone who is responsible for your files. A power outage or a bad drive or messed up user privileges might affect all automatic solutions in a very bad way, so *don't* *ever* rely on it. It's good when it's working and it might give you back the things you have made in the file during the last few minutes, but don't ever rely on it for the work you have done in the last few hours, days or weeks.

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. But I've learnt my lesson with bad drives years ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines