Background flickers when GPU Performance is turned on in Illustrator 2020 on Windows 10 machine

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am having an issue with Illustrator (and other Adobe apps, or even Adobe XD coded applications) where my screen brightness flickers like crazy when either is open. Disabling GPU acceleration makes it go away but then performance degrades substantially. The screen also flickers if I use other applications with an Adobe app open; closing it makes the problem disappear. 

I have seen several posts with similar issues but no solution, so it seems to be a widespread thing and it happens in different machines for what I have seen.

Specifications (Laptop): 

Clevo P775 DM1-G

Display: http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPF1_LG%20Display_17.3_LCM_overview_21056.html

I7 6700 (disabled integrated graphics due to G-sync; they don´t even show on Device Manager)

GTX 980 (laptop chip, not M)

SSD Evo Pro 970, 1 TB

64  gb DDR4 RAM 

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0.18363 (latest)

NVIDIA drivers: 26.21.14.4166 (latest)

OEM software: fan control curve, driver update tool, peripheral controls (touchpad/keyboard macros)

Illustrator 24.0.1, 64-bit (latest available from my CC)

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alvaro,

Some of this is undoubtedly known to you; most likely, the lack of recognition by the computer is more relevant than most.

This is what GPU is about:
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements.html

Graphics cards are included in the system requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

Apart from an inadequate card, the issue can be caused by lack of driver updating, lack of proper recognition of the card by the computer, and whatnot (including rifts in the space time, moon, weather, and the fact that Illy sometimes moves in mysterious ways).

Here are a few more pages about GPU troubleshooting:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-errors-troubleshooting-workarounds.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-gpu-performance-driver-update.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H Álvaro,

So sorry to hear about this issue. I agree with Jacob, this definitely sounds like a display issue. Reinstalling an updated graphics card driver should fix this issue. I would suggest if you can remove and reinstall NVIDIA drivers from https://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in.

Let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've experienced the same issue for a while, and it seems I've finally managed to figure out what's causing the problem. 

It seems the problem is G-Sync related. With my current 2 displays, on of them supports G-Sync, and when this feature is enabled, the flickering occurs with GPU Performance enabled in Illustrator (or other Adobe software for that matter).

To be specific, the flickering is limited to the main GUI components. Pop-up windows, such as preferences, are unaffected by this flickering. After remaining idle (i.e. not interacting with the software) for a few seconds, the flickering stops, but immediately appears again when doing anything within the application. 

All related drivers are updated, and the problem has been occuring throughout many years for me. 

Seeing as the original poster also ran have G-Sync enabled, it seems probable that this is the common cause. 

A temporary fix for people with similar issue is simply either disabling GPU Performance in Illustrator or disabling G-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel. Can't have both. 

My current specifications:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Monitor Model: ROG PG278QR

Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

Display Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089

Illustrator Version: 25.0.1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the worst options. I've experiencing this issue as well, and it is way too complicated. I'm so frustrated with all of these applications having so many problems with no or terrible solutions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Like Julian above me, I too am experiencing this issue. I wonder if with G-Sync and Freesync becoming more of a standard, Adobe will address this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Did you try the steps I shared above? 

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines