Highlighted

Backgroundcolor outside the artboard

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

is it possible to change the background color [outside the artboard] to a dark grey? because i really dont like having a big white screen while working in illustrator.

when you normally work in illustrator, the artboard is indicated by a black border line

but when you select the artboard editor tool, the background changes to dark grey, so it is possible

and that is the effect im looking for, but then permanently...

is it possible to do this via the preferences somewhere, or via a hack?

here is an image to clarify what i mean:

Click on "View"

Click on "Overprint Preview"

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Backgroundcolor outside the artboard

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

is it possible to change the background color [outside the artboard] to a dark grey? because i really dont like having a big white screen while working in illustrator.

when you normally work in illustrator, the artboard is indicated by a black border line

but when you select the artboard editor tool, the background changes to dark grey, so it is possible

and that is the effect im looking for, but then permanently...

is it possible to do this via the preferences somewhere, or via a hack?

here is an image to clarify what i mean:

Click on "View"

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 22, 2009 2
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know, but i would kill for that AND a preview mode like ID:)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2009 1
Enthusiast ,
Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canvas.JPG

A grey scratchboard is much better, I agree, that's why I drew a grey "frame" around the artboard, locked it, created a new layer above it and set that as my default canvas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2009 1
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe's referring to one artboard document though I guess you could use the transformation command to copy the openings

to coincide with the number of artboards and placement on the canvas with action that has stops for the number of vertical and number of Horizontal repeats.

But here is probably why they did not opt to give the user the choice, when in the artboard creation and editing mode it has a dark background
as well what would be the method of distinguishing between the two modes one that the vast majority of user can find effective for them?

BTW deciding a dark gray background is better rather than asking for a simply method to allow the user to choice they way they want to set this up  is not productive IMO as it ill not allow for others to say I would like it differently. I would ask for a method to make changes to canvas look.

Keep in mind that if you are working with a color the same as the background color you won't be able to see it so there hast o be a way for the user to have a choice of how to distinguish these objects.

Screen shot 2009-09-22 at 4.58.25 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i really dont understand what you saying there...

but if you saying this, i agree:

introducing an option for the users to change the background's shade of grey, would be awesome 😄

but is it possible?

@ Joe: yeah, that is possible, but that would make the filesize much larger, wouldnt it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so.... nobody knows a solution that works properly?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5, and I want to do the opposite. I want to change the background color back to white. It's maddening to have it be slightly off because I often use the eye dropper to select pure white from the background.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2010 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't figure out how to do what K-Swoosh sought but

Hi Display Type,

the one you are requesting can be achieved via  document setup dialog.

File->document setup, check simulate colored paper and click on the the two colored rectangles to choose their color also set the Grid size to large, if you choose the same color for both the rectangles your artboard will be of uniform color .

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2010 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't change the background color. I'm not trying to change the artboard color. The method you descibed only allows me to change the artboard color, but does not control the area outside the artboard.

In previous versions of Illustrator the area outside your artboard was still white. Now it's light gray. I want it to be white again, K-Swoosh wants it to be dark gray.

The best solution I've found is to just hide artboards while I'm working, but this is less than ideal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2010 1
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benbarry... did you manage to find a solution for this? Minus the hiding artboards thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on "View"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2012 6
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  Thankyou.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2015 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer to this question, at least in cc 2017 or is it 2018. I have no idea how that option got checked and I have no idea what an overprint preview is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6: Go to preferences: Interface: The choice will be there to make it as white as you want, or as dark as you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2012 4