• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup & Sync and error saving files: Who's the problem, Adobe or Google? There's a better cloud backup provider?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I use Illustrator and Photoshop professionally on a daily basis and I also like to have a cloud backup software making constant backups because I've been through a hard drive failure in the past.

I was using Dropbox without any trouble in a MacOS System but now I'm sharing a Google Backup &Sync plan with my husband because we pay for 2Tb and he is a heavy Gmail user, we're using 1Tb each, and now I'm a Windows user (sadly). The integration with Gmail/Drive is a big pro of their product.

The problem is: Illustrator refuses to save files that are uploading because they're momentarily read-only and displays a error message.

This is very, very annoying, and I took some time and research to find out that Backup & Sync is the culprit.

error-message-2-illustrator-backup-and-sync.png

I contacted Google and their answer was kind of ridiculous "Just turn off the Backup Software". Yes, the very software I'm paying for because I don't want to lose my files.

Now my doubts are:

- Other backup services have the same problem with Illustrator? (I'm using Windows 10) I'm considering switching to any other provider that doesn't have this problem.

- Who is responsible for solving this problem? Adobe, the backup software provider, or both?

-Less than desirable solution: Can I just disable the popup error message? I save a lot. The software could display the error in a warning bar and keep the asterisk showing that the file hasn't been saved.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple way to solve the problem.

1. When you want to work on your file, drag it to your desktop (or copy/paste).
  2. Work on your file and save it to your desktop.
  3. Drag it to your upload folder.
  4. You're done.

This is not Adobe's fault. It's not the Cloud provider's fault. Until there is an instant upload to the Cloud, you will run into issues like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick answer Jeff but unfortunately work on the desktop folder is not a good solution for me. My workflow is based on folder organization and I want backups of my files while I'm working on them. I don't want to have an extra step that I never had before. Things are supposed to work fine, specially if I'm paying for them. Some cloud services even have versions for the uploaded files, I can rescue an early version if I want.

Google didn't offer any solid solution so I think I'll just ditch them and choose a provider that listen to its customers, maybe even going back to Dropbox that I had to leave because of cost... Some people say that it works better in this case.

Edit - A simple choice of syncing intervals would solve that, for example: each 5 minutes the software checks for changes on files. But Google doesn't have that option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were still working on a Mac, you could use iCloud. Anything that's on your desktop is also in the Cloud. I use this on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever. So all of my current work is back-up automatically. Also anything that on your desktop on one of your computers is also on the desktop of all of your computers. So when I'm on a trip with my laptop, I have all the files I need from my desktop computer at home.

At the same time, I set up an external drive using Time Machine, Apple's backup software. This has saved my life on a number of occasions when I accidentally overwrite a file or deleted it. You can go back to a specific date and resurrect the file as it was on that date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was using Time Machine on my deceased mac, I'm using cloud services because Windows doesn't have a native tool like this, I'm forced to download a third party software and no one is good like TM...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows has OneDrive, but I would still recommend using your Creative Cloud storage/sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra, it's a good option, I will research about it.
I really wanted to know the prices for the Adobe storage but it's very, very hard to find it online and I'm in a country where a dollar is 3.7 times more valuable than our currency, so I can't be fooling around with prices and values... hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed disk access to all Adobe applicaitons in "security and privacy" settings and it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Adobe's Creative Cloud storage/sync? Browse, search, sync, and manage Adobe Creative Cloud assets You get 100GB free with your subscription, and you can expand that Upgrade your Creative Cloud storage​ I'm wondering if you would get better results working in the Adobe ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Myra, thanks.

I can't find the prices for my country anywhere... I get a message that I must contact customer support when trying to change the plan. Other providers show storage sizes and prices very clearly.

I think I would get better results with this specific bug but I didn't like the web app, I have to use it sometimes (I can't drag and drop files, very limited). And I use for all my files, not just Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your country? If you have the single or all apps Creative Cloud subscription, you should get 100GB included with your plan (Browse, search, sync, and manage Adobe Creative Cloud assets ). You can also go to Adobe Creative Cloud , and find out how much space you have. Look in the lower left by the gear. That shows your used storage. Hover over it, and it shows how much is used out of how much you have available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brazil, I need at least 1Tb because I want the backup of a whole hard-drive, and I can't find info about upgrading the storage anywhere in the Adobe site or in a google search. If I knew the prices I could make a better comparison with other providers and make a decision.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to expand the Creative Cloud storage up to 10 GB, but I don't know the pricing for Brazil. You would need to call or chat Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Otherwise, here's pricing for OneDrive Microsoft OneDrive Plans .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you meant 10 TB, not 10 GB... Just sayin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!!! Whoops, yeah 10 TB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the attention Myra. I'm currently working on my files stored on the Creative Cloud folder with the default storage size and using the Google Drive folder for backups. It's an annoying workaround because I like all my files stored in one place but it's better than seeing error popups all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can give your feedback to the Illustrator team describing the issue here Adobe Illustrator Feedback

You might try https://astutegraphics.com/software/autosaviourfree/ or the pro version https://astutegraphics.com/software/autosaviour/ which are Illustrator plugins for saving backups and versioning.

Depending on your comfort level with setting it up, you can create your own private cloud with Qsync on a QNAP NAS Qsync for file synchronization I have this setup and it's very quick. I've never gotten the error message your seeing with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I have other non-Adobe files, like Word files for drafts of scripts, stored in my Creative Cloud files. So you can store other file types there, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is: why would only Illustrator have this issue and not Indesign, Photoshop, MS Word, ...? Can't  the Illustrator dev team figure out what makes their app bugg out on this?

I image there are quite a few thousands of users who use a Adobe + Google workflow and have to deal with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, I didn't even came back here because I'm very frustrated by all the workaround suggestions, workarounds are not solutions. By contacting the support of both providers I expect that they see that there's a problem that needs a concrete development solution. If they can't see that, it gets really frustrating to the user and customer... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Chantal, 

I am facing the same issue and indeed it took a lot of time to figure out the Back Up and Sync was the culprit.

I could not find a permanent solution, but one thing I do is that I simply pause Back Up and Sync when I'm working on the file/ saving it. At the end of the day/ or when I finish working on a file, I save it as normal and then just resume Back Up and Sync. It's not ideal, but it is the easiest solution without having to save it on desktop or having to close Back Up and Sync altogether. To pause/ resume, just right click on the Back Up and Sync icon in the taskbar, press on the 3 dots on the top right corner, and press pause/ resume.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines