Highlighted

Basic Q re Color Groups

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am fairly new to Illustrator so this may be a basic question. I have searched online but couldn't find an answer.

I have created a color group for diagrams I intend to use on a website of mine. However, every time I close/open a new illustrator document - the color group has disappeared and I have to start again. 

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!
Shaun 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by michelew83603738 | Adobe Community Professional

You might want to create a color library in the cloud. That way the library can be added to and be available if you access your account in more than one place.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creative-cloud-libraries-sync-share-assets.html

Topics

Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Basic Q re Color Groups

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am fairly new to Illustrator so this may be a basic question. I have searched online but couldn't find an answer.

I have created a color group for diagrams I intend to use on a website of mine. However, every time I close/open a new illustrator document - the color group has disappeared and I have to start again. 

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!
Shaun 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by michelew83603738 | Adobe Community Professional

You might want to create a color library in the cloud. That way the library can be added to and be available if you access your account in more than one place.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creative-cloud-libraries-sync-share-assets.html

Topics

Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open a new Illustrator document, it opens the default swatches in the Swatches panel.

You create new swatches, colors. or color groups, you have to either save the file (with or without any object drawn on it) and then open it again, or you save it as a template and you open an unnamed copy of it everytime you open it.

Or else, you can (side menu of Swatches panel) Save Swatch Library as ASE.

You can also save the Swatches as an .ai file.

Later when you open any document you can add a swatches panel wth your customized swatches panel you saved before as .ASE. clicking on the firts icon left at the bottom of the Swatches panel: Swatch Libraries menu>Other Library. (important, take note of where you save the .ASE file. (this file can be also used in Photoshop and other Adobe apps).

Finally there is a modern approach, using the Library panel, that can share and interchange assets between Adobe aplications. Select the color group and/or other swatches and click on the third icon from left at the bottom panel (add selected swatches to current Library). Anytime later you can reuse or add those colors from that library on other illustrator documents, and also on Photoshop, InDesign,....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I was able to work out a solution from your advice.

Much appreciated

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please mark the answer as Correct. Thank you.

Which way you are doing with it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the last option.

Cheers
Shaun

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Michele

That's a good idea. I do most of my work on my home desktop but sometimes I use a laptop when travelling.

Cheers
Shaun

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines