Highlighted

beginner problems

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a green beginner.  I am a watercolor artist.  My goal is to place some of my work into AI and move things around, fix some areas, etc.  for the purpose of creating a pattern that can repeat.  So, I did place several of my scanned images.  Each image has several flowers.  They are all overlapping in the main layer.  I am unable to select individual flowers for manipulation.   I cannot seem to find any clues in the tutorials (which I have watched and practiced, but the examples were "ready" to be manipulated.  I feel as if I have missed a step or two but I cannot find out what they are.  I hope this makes sense.  I have never used software like this.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

beginner problems

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a green beginner.  I am a watercolor artist.  My goal is to place some of my work into AI and move things around, fix some areas, etc.  for the purpose of creating a pattern that can repeat.  So, I did place several of my scanned images.  Each image has several flowers.  They are all overlapping in the main layer.  I am unable to select individual flowers for manipulation.   I cannot seem to find any clues in the tutorials (which I have watched and practiced, but the examples were "ready" to be manipulated.  I feel as if I have missed a step or two but I cannot find out what they are.  I hope this makes sense.  I have never used software like this.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help to see one of your images.

In order to select individual flowers in you would need vector artwork instead of bitmap images. Otherwise, you would need to create a mask around each set of flowers in Illustratotor.

If you need to make patterns using images instead of vecotrs, you would probably be better off using Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 1
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I said it would help to see one of your images is because unless they are very simple with flat colors (not watercolor-y) you will probably be unhappy with the results of Illustrator's Image Trace command. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mrs Handy Fixit,

You can try the Image Trace, remember to Expand it so you can work with the artwork. Doubtlessly, you will need to try out the different settings, see more here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=Image+Trace+Illustrator&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subsco...

I believe you may come to like the helpx (search) pages. And before you ask, here is one about Patterns:

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=patterns+illustrator+illustrator&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 1
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A scan is like a photo of your painting. You aren't going to be able to select individual flowers because they aren't individual elements. Illustrator is primarily used to create and edit vector graphics. Your scan is made of pixels, not vector graphics. Have you considered using Photoshop to edit your painting and make patterns? It's better suited for this. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 2