Highlighted

Behaviour of Locked Objects

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone here,

I have one question regarding the behaviour of the locked objects in the Illustrator. Let me explain in different scenario, and there is one scenario which is I am unable to understand. 

Scenario 1: Locked Object inside the layer.

When any object is locked which is just inside the layer, we cannot select the that object, which seems correct and also we cannot move it.

Scenario 2: Locked object inside the group.

When there is a locked object inside the group, and I tried to move the group, every item inside the group moves except the locked one. This seems to be correct as well.

Scenario 3: Locked Object inside the layer, and move artboard.

In this scenario, when I try to move the artboard, Illustrator gives an alert saying "Any hidden or locked objects in the artboard will not be moved". Which makes sense and object does not move after moving the artboard.

Scenario 4: Locked objects inside the group, and move artboard.

Here when I try to move the artboard, I got the same alert message as in Scenario 3, but object moved with the artboard. How and why? Is it some thing that I am not aware of.

Attach are the screen shots for this scenario.

Artboard at (0,0), selected rectangle is at (72,72)

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 11.50.19 PM.png

Second screen shot, an alert message that I received.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 11.50.58 PM.png

Artboard moved to (72,72) and rectangle also changes its position (144.41,72) even when it is locked.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 11.52.35 PM.png

Best regards
Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Charu Rajput | Adobe Community Professional

I just saw a bug raised here(fixed), almost similar, but talking about moving artboards and locked layers

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/31952155-moving-artboards-and-locked-layers

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Behaviour of Locked Objects

Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone here,

I have one question regarding the behaviour of the locked objects in the Illustrator. Let me explain in different scenario, and there is one scenario which is I am unable to understand. 

Scenario 1: Locked Object inside the layer.

When any object is locked which is just inside the layer, we cannot select the that object, which seems correct and also we cannot move it.

Scenario 2: Locked object inside the group.

When there is a locked object inside the group, and I tried to move the group, every item inside the group moves except the locked one. This seems to be correct as well.

Scenario 3: Locked Object inside the layer, and move artboard.

In this scenario, when I try to move the artboard, Illustrator gives an alert saying "Any hidden or locked objects in the artboard will not be moved". Which makes sense and object does not move after moving the artboard.

Scenario 4: Locked objects inside the group, and move artboard.

Here when I try to move the artboard, I got the same alert message as in Scenario 3, but object moved with the artboard. How and why? Is it some thing that I am not aware of.

Attach are the screen shots for this scenario.

Artboard at (0,0), selected rectangle is at (72,72)

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 11.50.19 PM.png

Second screen shot, an alert message that I received.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 11.50.58 PM.png

Artboard moved to (72,72) and rectangle also changes its position (144.41,72) even when it is locked.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 11.52.35 PM.png

Best regards
Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Charu Rajput | Adobe Community Professional

I just saw a bug raised here(fixed), almost similar, but talking about moving artboards and locked layers

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/31952155-moving-artboards-and-locked-layers

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 05, 2020 1
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/31952155-mo...

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add more information after digging more into it, the setting "Move locked and hidden Artwork with artboards" is also unchecked. Is it a bug?

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 1.31.40 AM.png

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Charu Rajput,

I didn't test your examples. Sorry.

But maybe one of the following settings is able to change that behaviour:

setting 1

Move artboard without moving art 

and/or

setting 2 (in Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display > [checkbox] Move Locked and Hidden artwork with art board) :

Voreinstellungen_gesperrte_Objekte_verschieben.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pixxxel_schubser 

• Second setting is off for me.
  • First setting is on.
  • Both doesn't change the behaviour.

Main concern is when locked objects exists inside the group with another objects, then objects move with the artboard irrespective of locking and when locked object is just inside the layer or it is a single object inside the group it does not move with the artboards. With same setting two different behaviour.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a very long and detailed related discussion about this/these question(s) in the "old" Illustrator forum many years ago.

Unfortunately it obviously vanished into thin air. At least I cannot find it anymore. There were some key words in this thread such as "treasure chest", but unfortunately that's all I can remember.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt_Gold 

Correct, many of the old threads does not exists. I had never read that thread.

So is this expected behaviour or a bug, It seems bug to me because it alert me saying hidden and locked artworks will not move, but still it moves. 

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0