• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best pen display tablet for illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I want to convert all my university/highschool lecture notes into adobe PDF using adobe illustrator. I have tried using other apps but they are not as accurate as illustrator so I want to stick with that. I want to use a pen display rather than graphics tablet because I will be writing a lot, making diagrams, writing mathematical formulas and graphs. I want to use vector for all that. 

What I want is a tablet is:

1. high response rate/refresh rate (PPS report rate)

2. fast brush strokes which will catch up where the stylus is writing

3. minimal lag when writing words

4. accurate pen strokes with minimal parallax

What I noticed when i tried wacom cintiq 22 was that after writing in 100% zoom view, and zooming in, i noticed that the pen stroke was jittery and wobbly. When I zoom in quite a lot like 1000% and then write, then the pen strokes becomes smoother... i don't know why it does that. 

When I was using a cheap stylus on using adobe illustrator draw for android, even when i zommed out and drew with my finger or a stylus there was no jitter. It seems like on iphone, android, adobe illustrator works well. This is what I want to mimic.

I do not care about the ergonomics, shortcut keys or whatever extra's companies add to pen displays. I am mainly looking for performance to mimic as close as possible to the feel and accuracy of pen on paper writing. My budget is upto $2500 CAD

Some choices I think would be vialble options are:

1. wacom cintiq pro 24

1. ipad pro 12.9in (5th generation) with M1 chip and apple pencil 2

2. huion kamvas studio 22

3. huion pro 24

Which one do you think in your opinion would allow me to accomplish most of everything for the above given requirements? Thanks...

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would get a Windows one, as good as I hear the Apple pen etc. is, as you'll be able to install the desktop version of Illustrator rather than the neutered iPad version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would get a Windows one, as good as I hear the Apple pen etc. is, as you'll be able to install the desktop version of Illustrator rather than the neutered iPad version.

By @Doug A Roberts

What do you mean by "windows one" ?? do u mean wacom, huion ?? or do you mean android PC tablets ? can you be specific...Is there any difference between writing using adobe illustrator on a ipad vs. illustrator on desktop ? as far as i tested on my samsung galaxy s8 and my brother's iphone X...adobe illustrator seems to do a better job on mobile device than it does with desktop..that is why what made me consider the ipad in the first place...try it out on your ios device if you have one using adobe illustrator draw you will notice a difference..

In the ipad I saw that you can write documents and make your strokes and then upload the finished .ai files back into your desktop/laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things are unclear:

Do you just want high fidelity stroke recording for the sake of it, without needing any handwriting recognition for your notes? When I hear about students taking notes, many want their handwritten notes to be recognized as text so that it can be searched, and copied and pasted as text into other applications. They use note-taking apps such as OneNote that can freely mix typed text, graphics, and handwriting recognized as text content. But if you record strokes using the pen or brush tools in Illustrator, they will be “dead” strokes that will look nice and can be styled, but cannot be converted into searchable text content.

Do you want a “pen display” or a “pen computer?” Those are two different things, but your list mixes them.

• If you want what some companies call a “pen display,” you can use it only if it is connected to a Mac or Windows computer. It’s just a peripheral device, simply a monitor that accepts pen input.
  • If you want a “pen computer,” that is a standalone iOS or Windows tablet so you can pick it up and work anywhere without bringing anything else, because it has its own operating system and an internal battery. If you need portability and the ability to work without an computer attached to it, you want a pen computer, not any of the pen displays.

In your list:

• Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 — Pen display. Works only if connected to a Mac or Windows computer. If you want a Wacom pen computer, you want the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro.
  • iPad Pro 12.9in (5th generation) with M1 chip and Apple Pencil 2 — Pen computer running iOS. Highly responsive, low parallax. Runs Illustrator for iOS, which is a good app, but lacks features in the Mac & Windows versions of Illustrator. I have taken handwritten notes in various apps with the iOS Scribble feature, which converts handwriting to text, and found that works quite well although not perfectly. But Illustrator on iPad does not seem to accept Apple Pencil handwritten input at this time; as in Illustrator for Mac & Windows the strokes you draw are graphics only.
  • Huion Kamvas Studio 22 — Pen computer running Windows. Looks like it’s based on the Intel Core i5.
  • Huion Pro 24 — Pen display. Works only if connected to a Mac or Windows computer.

For the pen displays, quality of drawing is not just about which hardware you buy. It will also be affected by the quality of the Wacom or Huion tablet driver software; interacting with the performance of the application (Illustrator), the operating system, and the graphics driver working together. That is a lot of variables. I have tried both recent Wacom and Huion pen tablets (not pen displays); my own anecdotal experience is that I was disappointed with the quality and performance of the Huion driver software. But others like the Huion line, so get more opinions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, hand writing recognition to text is not what I want and that would be a waste of time for me as I can quickly just type it out so its quite pointless. I am mainly going for the cleanest most acxurate strokes i do not care about any "extras" by evernote. Im mainly concerned with illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines