• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to bring an accurate vector image from a 3D model to Illustrator?

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see this post:
How to export from 3ds Max the 3 isometric views to a vector (SVG) based file?  

This is my web service: [website link removed by moderator]

As you can see, the 3 background images could use some retouching. I have 2 potential sources, they are detailed 3D models of [redacted by moderator]:
  (a) In 3ds Max
  (b) In SketchUp

The destination is Illustrator, where the image will be beautified and saved as SVG.

I have attempted some workflows:
3ds Max ==> AutoCAD ==> DXF ==> AI

But the time elpased is absurd. I had to kill some of the apps, which were perhaps in an infinite loop?

Is there any way to tell those apps: "I only care about the visible layer (from above, front and side), a very thin slice, forget about the large number of polygons behind"?

TIA,

-Ramon F. Herrera

[personal info removed by moderator]

TSBD Front ViewTSBD Front View

TSBD Left ViewTSBD Left View

TSBD Top VIewTSBD Top VIew

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

It's not really clear what you are actually doing. Do you even clean up your models in ACAD and converting them to actual 2D plan views? It simply doesn't sound like it and all the 3D garbage contained in the exported DXF/ DWG is messing up AI.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really clear what you are actually doing. Do you even clean up your models in ACAD and converting them to actual 2D plan views? It simply doesn't sound like it and all the 3D garbage contained in the exported DXF/ DWG is messing up AI.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Mylenium:] "It's not really clear what you are actually doing."

You can say that again!  : -)

You see, I am a software engineer just getting into programming one web page:

[website link removed by moderator]

The background images are JPEG, so I decided: "Let me get some high quality 2D, vector images"

That way, the users will be able to perform two of the three fundamental linear 3D operations: shift (panning) and scaling (zoming). That is as close as real 3D as it gets. This is a prototype, a mock web site, future versions will have real 3D.

I considered editing the 3D models (I have one in 3ds Max, another in SletchUp) in order to make them less heavy. Aftell all, I only need a very thin, the visible layer (from the 3 vantage, isometric viewpoints)

However, I have two problems:
 (1) I barely know 3ds Max, even less SktchUp
 (2) I am afraid I may remove important parts.

-Ramon

[Personal info removed by moderator]

ps: BY definition every file produced by the [redacted] project (currently a 1-person, Not-for-Profit operation) immediately becomes part of the public domains. No buts or ifs. Feel free to grab anything:

[website removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply is gone.

Should I bother typing it again?

This case is known as "The Subject That Never Dies" the main reason being the 60 years of secrecy, including removal of posts.

-Ramon F. Herrera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will assume that it was a "dress malfunction" an accident, maybe I clicked too fast or something  🙂

...  and repost my detailed reply to Mylenium.

-Ramon F. Herrera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mylenium:

This problem is harder than I expected, but I believe that I see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

Since the images natively shown by 3ds Max are sub-optimal (if you want beauty, you must render), I decided to use my model done in SketchUp (app which provides the prettiest native images of all 3D apps):

TSBD Building - Front ViewTSBD Building - Front View

TSBD Building - Top ViewTSBD Building - Top View

and thus I posted the question in the relevamt forum:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/how-to-extract-the-3-isometric-views-with-the-highest-possible-quality... 

As  you can see there are no answers.

Thanks!

-Ramon F. Herrera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines