• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Better Text Object Selection Based on Text Characteristics or Object Type

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there are scripts or plugins (or a built-in feature I've overlooked) that can:

(1) Select all the text objects that share all the same formatting characteristics, including things like horizontal scale or baseline shift – a full-featured typographic equivalent of Select > Same > Appearance for paths. (Yes, Select > Same > Appearance does technically work with text objects, but ignores many formatting details and selects text objects with differents appearances.)
(2) Select all instances of text on paths.

TOPICS
Scripting , Third party plugins , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Text on Path can be searched by the plugin Select Menu (free) and by FindReplace (subscription, Astute Graphics)

I'm not sure if there is a plugin that searches for same attributes. Maybe scripting can search for specific attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

I did some searching this morning and found an Applescript that selects text objects based on character formatting. I modified it slightly to fit my needs. In case anyone in the future has the same need, here's the version that selects any text object containing text whose horizontal scale is less than 100%. Modifying it to look for other text characteristics would be pretty easy:

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
tell current document
set theText to every text frame whose editable is true
repeat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text on Path can be searched by the plugin Select Menu (free) and by FindReplace (subscription, Astute Graphics)

I'm not sure if there is a plugin that searches for same attributes. Maybe scripting can search for specific attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Monika. I'll check those plugins out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did some searching this morning and found an Applescript that selects text objects based on character formatting. I modified it slightly to fit my needs. In case anyone in the future has the same need, here's the version that selects any text object containing text whose horizontal scale is less than 100%. Modifying it to look for other text characteristics would be pretty easy:

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
tell current document
set theText to every text frame whose editable is true
repeat with t in theText
try
set s to horizontal scale of text of text 1 of t
if s < 100 then
set selected of t to true
else
set selected of t to false
end if
end try
end repeat
end tell
end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines