Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blend Distorting Shapes?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have two similar shapes that I am trying to duplicate a few times and then "snap" them to a path. I decided to use "blend", with blend options being 8 independent steps. When I apply the blend, it makes the correct number of steps but for some reason distorts the blended shapes. I made the second shape by duplicating the first, so they're exactly the same. Any ideas why this is happening?

illustrator.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

To amplify what Larry said, these blends were created by clicking with the Blend Tool on the indicated anchor points. In the top example, I selected points haphazardly; in the bottom one, I selected corresponding points.

The bottom example is also the result when using the menu command Object > Blend > Make, or the applicable keyboard shortcut.

Peter

Edit: And what JET said.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you indicate the anchor points you used for the blend? It makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right! I had not been selecting the corresponding anchor points, thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome. And thanks to Peter for the visuals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scatter-brush-small.png

Not knowing what you plan on using this for I may be way off but you could try turning your shape into a Scatter Brush. You could then apply this brush to any kind of straight or curved path.

Note that the "Rotation relative to" option is set to "Path" and you could also play with the Spacing.

You could also turn this into a Pattern Brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great alternative, thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and thanks, everybody, that was kinda like teamwork!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nana,

I believe you may start out with a path that has asymmetrical Anchor Points, in which case you may wish to start over; you can create the first one, then move a copy horizontally to the right, then make the blend form those (remember to align to path if you wish to have adapted rotations rather than everything upright).

It is better/safer/simpler to work with symmetrical ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blends work by interpolating positions of corresponding nodes (anchorPoints) in the base paths. Path direction also comes into play.

Best practice for predictable results is to, when possible, have the same number of nodes and same winding direction in the base paths.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

Blends work by interpolating positions of corresponding nodes (anchorPoints) in the base paths. Path direction also comes into play.

Best practice for predictable results is to, when possible, have the same number of nodes and same winding direction in the base paths.

That is the most complete and concise Blend explanation I have seen; truly the long answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To amplify what Larry said, these blends were created by clicking with the Blend Tool on the indicated anchor points. In the top example, I selected points haphazardly; in the bottom one, I selected corresponding points.

The bottom example is also the result when using the menu command Object > Blend > Make, or the applicable keyboard shortcut.

Peter

Edit: And what JET said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nana, everyone,

An exquisite and enjoyable thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In fact, the solution of the problem was at a very easy point. The reason I am answering this right now is that I am looking for the answer to this question. If you convert the shape you use to symbol, it is possible to do whatever you want without any problem. It will work as often as you want and color change. Turning and twisting is not a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines