• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blob brush not working properly with Wacom Intuos Pro

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an illustrator and the main way that I use my Wacom Intuos Pro M (model PTH-660) is with the Blob Brush tool in Adobe Illustrator. I utilise a lot of dotwork/pointillism in my work and usually that means that, ideally, when I draw a dot with Blob Brush, with the pen pressure settings on and the size variation set to maximum, the dot changes size depending how much pressure I put on the pen.

My problem is that all of a sudden, when I draw a dot, the dot is a uniform size and shape in line with the brush size, unaffected by pen pressure. Instead of a pressure-sensitive dot, I basically get a circle. If I draw (using Blob Brush), the pen pressure works fine, if I move my pen a tiny bit while drawing a dot the pen pressure works. This problem only occurs when making dots using Blob Brush (note that I don't use the regular Paintbrush or Calligraphic brushes ever, but I do like to set them to use pen pressure just in case). This issue is rather annoying.

Recently, the pen pressure settings for the Blob Brush were greyed out, so I decided to check if I needed a driver update. I have Adobe Illustrator 2020, running on macOS Mojave version 10.14.6. I updated the Wacom driver to 6.3.42-1. In the Wacom preferences, the dot-pressure functionality works as it should, so this seems to be a problem with Adobe Illustrator.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Hi there. Yes that sounds very similar to my problem. I seemed to have solved this for now by going back to a much older driver for my Wacom Intuos Pro - driver 6.3.38 from 2019.

Various other suggestions I've seen that you can try: 

- Go to your Wacom Desktop Centre>My Devices>Pen Settings>Options and untick the the "Tip-Up Assist" box.

OR

- Reinstall your driver.

OR

- Go to System preferences>Security & Privacy > Click the privacy tab> Scroll down to Accessibility> Click the lock to make changes an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Mac OSX have a feature equivalent to Windows Ink? On the Windows platform I have to enable Windows Ink functions in the Wacom Tablet Properties, under the Mapping tab. If Windows Ink is disabled I won't get any pressure sensitive operations from my Intuous Pro tablet in applications like Illustrator and Photoshop.

I often leave Windows Ink disabled in the Wacom Tablet Properties because I intensely dislike the Windows Ink handwriting pop-up window that jumps up any time I click into a text entry field using the Wacom Pen stylus. I have a keyboard on my computer. I can type a LOT faster than writing text by hand. Windows Ink should not be acting in such a dumb manner. These days if I need to produce some hand drawn graphics with pressure sensitive input I'm more likely to grab my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil to get it done that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for suggesting this :). Looking into it lead me to some interesting suggestions which seemed to have worked for other people, although ultimately the thing that did work in my case was going back to Wacom driver 6.3.38 from 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on OS Catalina and AI2020. Drawing blob brush dots with a Wacom stylus and tablet is erratic when the brush is set to pressure. Some light dabs with the brush produce smaller dots. If I continue, however, the dots become the set size of the brush with no pressure-induced variation. Sometimes, I can tilt the stylus to alter the dot size (even though I've set the brush to respond to pressure, not tilt). At other times no amount of tilt- or pressure-variation will give me variable size dots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there. Yes that sounds very similar to my problem. I seemed to have solved this for now by going back to a much older driver for my Wacom Intuos Pro - driver 6.3.38 from 2019.

Various other suggestions I've seen that you can try: 

- Go to your Wacom Desktop Centre>My Devices>Pen Settings>Options and untick the the "Tip-Up Assist" box.

OR

- Reinstall your driver.

OR

- Go to System preferences>Security & Privacy > Click the privacy tab> Scroll down to Accessibility> Click the lock to make changes and enter your credentials> Make sure that Wacom, Illustrator and Photoshop are all ticked (or add them using the "+" sign).

Hope this can help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines