• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blob Tool will not “fill” it will only create the stroke.

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I'm new here and new to Illustrator but my blob brush won't work. I've just uninstalled AI and re-installed it but it's still not working. 

I'm not on the paint tool, I'm on the Blob tool. I'm setting it up as an RGB file. There's really not much else I can say. I'm on a 2011 iMac, AI is the updated one. My blob brush just doesn't work. 

Anyone else having this problem or knows what to do? It should just be simple, choose the blob brush, fill and stroke. 

Thank in advance 

Angela

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show an example of the problem selected, with the appearance panel visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.16.04 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain which of the artwork is your problem? They look OK to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Blob Brush creates filled objects using the stroke color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all the others a different way. The 3 black round shapes, without any color are the way the blob brush does anything for me. It simply won't "fill" only the outline. Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, If I remember correctly, I USED to be able to do the fill AFTER I had finished making the shape. I had to go back and add a fill. Even if I had the fill a color. 

I just went in and clicked on the shape, it looks like there's a very thin stroke, and the fill is a little wider, but more like another stroke, and not like a "fill".

I don't know what's happening. It's bizarre. It should be an easy thing to do, just click on the blob brush, choose the stroke and fill color. That's just not happening for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to select a Fill color (you can, but it becomes a stroke color if there is none).

Just select a stroke color and start using the brush.

It will create a filled path with that color.

Check if you are not in Outline Preview

If that does not work reset your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you double click the Blob brush tool you can check "Keep Selected" in that case the fill color stays the fill color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you so much for your help. I've double clicked on the blob brush and selected "keep selected". It's still not working. It isn't filling the shape in. Can you please tell me how to find the "Outline Preview" also how to reset my preferences. Much appreciated. 

Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Blob Brush does not fill a surrounded area. It acts like a paintbrush in that it only applies color to the area it actually goes over. If you use a thin brush (adjust size with the [ and ] keys) and draw a closed loop it will look like a path with a stroke applied, but will actually be a filled path. An intersecting path of the same color drawn with the Blob Brush will join with the existing filled area as a single ( in this case a compound) path. A different color will yield a separate filled path.

tromboniator_0-1613428134995.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outline Preview: Cmd or Ctrl Y

There is a Reset Preferences button in the Preferences > General

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help.

I've just found out what to do. I am doing a pattern design course, I even asked the teacher to know avail. In the course she left out a major step, didn't tell or show us what we needed to do after making a shape. Now I know:

To get the blob brush to fill I have to have the "Direct Select" arrow, click on a point on the inside of the shape and press delete twice. 

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate eveyone that has helped me. It's been so frustrating, anyway now I know. 

Cheers. Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you sure you want the blob brush if that's what you'll be doing with it? Maybe the pencil tool with a fill would be a simpler choice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines