• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bounding box centers disappear when adding guides-?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I've been using the bounding box "centers" to place guides. Now, when I start to drag a guide, the "centers" of the bounding boxes disappear, so I can't place the guide. Because I draw lots of signs, this function is very useful to what I do, so without it I'm at a loss. Why was this feature removed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

With symmetrical shapes like a circle, the default is that you will see a center point when the object is selected. For asymmetrical shapes the default is no center point; however, you can add a center point in the Attributes panel.

When there is a center point, you can see it in View > Outline even when the object is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

I found somehing I guess it might help.

View > Show Edges.

Now you can add rulers to objects with visible edges and centre point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With symmetrical shapes like a circle, the default is that you will see a center point when the object is selected. For asymmetrical shapes the default is no center point; however, you can add a center point in the Attributes panel.

When there is a center point, you can see it in View > Outline even when the object is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, didn't worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you found a real answer about this question? If so could you share it with me please? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh... I have the same problem! Any soulutions?? Ansvers?? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, I'd like the real answer to this question, the one from Barbara Ash seems to have completly missed the point! I used to line guides with bounding box centre points and perimiters all the time, now when you select the guide to move it, it treats the guide as if it were a new object and the previously selected object which you want to lock onto becomes deselected and loses it's bounding box. Given all the amazing stuff that Illustrator is capable of, I can't quite understand the logic behind this, am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a similar thread:

pixxxelschubser_0-1617485396449.png

What exactly do you mean?

• Selected or not?
  • Smart guides on or of?
  • Your setting in Attribute Panel?

center point off - selected

centerPoint_01.png

center point on - selected

centerPoint_02.png

center point on - deselected

centerPoint_05.png

center point on - selected

centerPoint_03.png

(hovering with) mouse pointer over the center point while Smart Guides are activated

centerPoint_04.png

  

By @pixxxelschubser

--> jump to quoted post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same (but in Ps). Was there ever a solution to this? it's very annoying, another strike of victory for the Adobe fiddle-bots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found somehing I guess it might help.

View > Show Edges.

Now you can add rulers to objects with visible edges and centre point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue now.  With an object selected and the center point shown when  Idrag a new guide in to line to center of selected box the center points in the shape disappear making it impossible to align the guides tho the center of the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Corey3059957643gk  schrieb:

I have the same issue now.  With an object selected and the center point shown when  Idrag a new guide in to line to center of selected box the center points in the shape disappear making it impossible to align the guides tho the center of the object.

Try and update your graphics driver.

If that does not help, please post a bug report on https://illustrator.uservoice.com You will need to give information about your system and hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines