Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bounding box disappears while moving objects in Illustrator

Explorer ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a problem where the bounding box (blue highlight) disappears, ONLY when moving an object – it's there when I select the object but when I drag it it disappears. This has just started happening and I'm sure I've accidentally hit the wrong keyboard shortcut somewhere along the line but I can't work out how to fix the issue.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

That is called Real Time Drawing & Editing.

The bounding box has been always hidden when moved.

What you probably mean (I guess) is that the object edges are hidden.

Turn off Real Time Drawing & Editing or GPU preview to get the edges back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Yes, I did indeed mean the object edges

Turning off Real Time Drawing & Editing has got my edges back (which I find useful), Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out. For me, it looks like this when I move the object.

move objects ai.png

Could you please share a screenshot or a small video of the issue? Also, please confirm which OS and version of Illustrator you are working on.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issue.

I'm running 24.1.3

Mac os Catalina 10.15.4

iMac 27inch 2017

3.8ghz i5

32gb memory

radeon Pro 580 8gb

  Selected, but not movingSelected, but not movingselected and being dragged to another locationselected and being dragged to another location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is called Real Time Drawing & Editing.

The bounding box has been always hidden when moved.

What you probably mean (I guess) is that the object edges are hidden.

Turn off Real Time Drawing & Editing or GPU preview to get the edges back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did indeed mean the object edges

Turning off Real Time Drawing & Editing has got my edges back (which I find useful), Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Real-Time Drawing and Editing is found in the "Illustrator Preferences"
under "Performance" at the bottom. (ILLUSTRATOR 25.0)
March 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saying it more specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the solution to the problem.
Very annoying and difficult to work without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bingo! This has been driving me mad for years! Finally I can see the object edges when I move them. Thanks Ton! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This issue has been driving me crazy for years. I'm so relieved that it calls for a celebration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! I'm having the same issue. Turning off Real Time Drawing and/or GPU doesn't fix this. Illustrator just doesn't seem to be the precise drawing instrument it once was. Been using it since before it even had a bounding box, but once it was added, it didn't disappear when you moved an object, and that was helpful. I have an older machine running CS6 and I find myself having to go back to that at times. That bounding box stays visible when I move a selected object in CS6. Bit of a shame having to go backwards like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@villainess  schrieb:

I have an older machine running CS6 and I find myself having to go back to that at times. That bounding box stays visible when I move a selected object in CS6. 

That's interesting, because I don't get a bounding box in CS6 when moving objects with the selection tool. And I can proof that.

https://youtu.be/iPqwaxONYOs

There is a bounding box when you use the free transform tool. But when you use version 2023 and turn off realtime drawing and then use the free transform tool, then you have a bounding box as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Real Time Drawing & Editing in Illustrator Preferences and then in Performance worked!!!!! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

This exact thing happened to me yesterday all of a sudden. I can't remember what I pushed or what keyboard-combination it could have been, but I can't seem to fix this. I've tried your solutions ofc but none worked for me. Is my file corrupt? I've tried to uninstall/install the whole cloud, same with illustrator (like 2 times). I resetted my settings too. One thing I found out was that the "newer" layers I added to my file were fine (boarding box was there and visible while moving).

Here it works fine:

ViktoriaPat_5-1626171199749.png         ViktoriaPat_4-1626171163188.png

Same file, just an "older" layer/group. Selected and moving:

ViktoriaPat_1-1626171052343.png     ViktoriaPat_2-1626171101599.png

What I found out is that the middle "anchorpoint" is missing when selected.
Is this somehow repairable?

Thank you for your answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why is this marked as Solved, because it isn't.
We still don't have bounding box around the object when we move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the Real time editing doesn't help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't help me at least. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift+Ctrl+B (View > Show Bouning Box)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Evgeni,

Ctrl+Shift+B only shows/hide bounding box while object is inactive. As soon as you drag it, bounding box dissapears.
The only workaround by now is to enter in outline mode (Ctrl+y) allign the object and then exit the outline mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Real time Editing did not solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Bounding Box has always disappeared when moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you are wrong! By turning the stupid feature "real-time drawing and editing" OFF you get back to showing the bounding box when moving an object. Thank you Adobe for wasting my time.

(Turning off Real-Time Drawing and Editing is found in the "Illustrator Preferences" under "Performance" at the bottom. (ILLUSTRATOR 25.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try it? The Bounding Box (that rectangle with little squareson all corners and sides that encompasses the object) disappears around the object when you move the object and appears when you stop moving. Yes it stays visible at the starting point, is that useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines