• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Tool Width Variation

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this posted a few times and none of the solutions have worked for me. I want to use the paintbrush to create varied widths on my stroke but when I choose a brush and a width profile it just continues to be the uniform size. I've read posts about turning off "New Artwork Has Basic Appearance", which I've done and drawing with the pencil tool instead, which works but am I to believe there is no other way to get a varied brush stroke?? I've used the brush stroke in this way with the paintbrush tool in older versions of Illustrator and have never encountered this problem before.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which kind of brush are you using? Width profiles don't work with calligraphy brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried lots of different brushes and I've also tried creating bristle brushes but can't seem to get it working with anything other than the pencil tool for some reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Art brushes and pattern brushes work with variable widths.

If you want just a simple stroke with a width profile, then indeed use the pencil tool to draw the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen many people online using the paintbrush tool with various width, would this mean they are using custom made brushes? I was able to do this with previous versions of Illustrator so this is no longer possible? I'm creating outlines for illustrations so just require a simple stroke with width profile but using the paintbrush rather than the pencil. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you just want simple lines with varying widths?

Use a graphic tablet and calligraphy brushes.

Bit Variable width profiles (the ones created with the Width tool and available in the strokes panel) won't work with calligraphy brushes and never have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines