BUG - Lines that turns into solid objects in PDF format for older programs

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update I am having problems with the result of PDF files using lines. It's my vinyl printer/cutting supplier that has bring me the problem: Lines are turned into solid objects.

Originaly I used to create 2 layers in my project (Print + CutContour), the layer CutContour has all the lines (pink color, named CutContour also), intended to tell the printer what is to "cut" among all the graphics.

Now all PDF I export seems to merge all CutContour lines into solid objects (for older programs). The supplier has the problem using it, and I can test it also opening the PDF with an older CS6 illustrator -> lines become solid. I understand that compatibility between Illustrator version can be an issue, but for having lines to turn solid this is a big big issue...

From that issue, the receiver at the other end that turns it back into "lines" is getting "double lines" then, not much better.

Thanks for checking this out
Dom

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Print and publish, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an example .ai file without the problem and describe how you save the file as pdf to get the problem.

What does the other end do, open the pdf in Acrobat or some other program?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton,

This is what it looks like (Last comon version)

LastVersion.JPGI dont have the visual from the print company, but I test it - open it in older version of Illustrator and that PDF files gets me this:

Bug.JPG

When I select the line, it's not a line anymore but a solid object (see color on top left). I believe that is the reason why the print company does not get a line neither...

For PDF concern, I dont "export" - I just saved it (like I always did), I didn't pick any preset or different format then the default ones. I have tried different PDF saving option but it doesn't change the result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open it in an older version of Illustrator you probably open the (converted) Illustrator part of the PDF.

What does the print company do besides hitting print?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you save the PDF with Illustrator editing capabilities checked?

Is the file flattened upon saving (with the convert all strokes to outlines option checked in the flatten transparency settings)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines