• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buggy hidden/invisible/non-existent appearances

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I find that newly created live text objects or other objects have appearances on them that I can't see in the Appearance tab but I know that some form of extra appearance exists (unless it's a bug) because going to the top menu and trying to do Object > Expand... won't work. This is because the option is greyed out and instead Object > Expand Appearance is available. When I click this I can see nothing changes in the Appearance tab, and yet Object > Expand... becomes available again.

The existence of these hidden appearances actually causes problems with scripts I write in regards to dealing with appearances in various ways.

Repoducing this problem is very easy as all you need to do is create some default text with no appearance, then with the text selected use the eyedropper tool to click on the text. You will notice in the Layers panel that the object's selection circle(if that's what it is called?) becomes filled with grey indicating it has an appearance even though the Appearance panel shows nothing has changed. This appearance has materialized out of nowhere.

This has to be a bug right?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Thanks for the file.

I can reproduce the behaviour (using the eyedropper as per your description), but only in the Windows version of Illustrator.

Apparently it's a bug. You may report it at the Uservoice section of this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also call these schrodinger's appearances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce this in 25.2.1 Mac, the layer target button stays unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this behavior 25.2.1 on Windows. I forgot macOS existed ha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample Illustrator file (.ai)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a google drive link to an .ai file since attaching it directly just gave me an error saying the contents of the file don't match .ai even though it's just two text objects.

Inside are two different text objects. One is just some normal default text. The other is text that I have selected and clicked on with the eye dropper tool to give it the strange invisible/pseudo-appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the file.

I can reproduce the behaviour (using the eyedropper as per your description), but only in the Windows version of Illustrator.

Apparently it's a bug. You may report it at the Uservoice section of this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines