• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can Adobe files (AI, PS, etc) created on a MAC be opened on a PC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my design work in AI and PS over the years has all been done on a MAC. My MAC died last week and I am thinking of going with a PC this time. Can I open those files I've created on a MAC on a PC? Will I need to convert them?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Import and export , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

They should work just the same, but you will need to watch out for fonts. You may not have all the fonts from your Mac on your Windows workstation. Likewise, any placed images which are not travelling with the file in a "Links" folder (which is auto-created when the File > Package command is used) will retain their old paths which will be different from the paths your new workstation likes. So you may end up having to change some fonts and relinking some placed items.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should work just the same, but you will need to watch out for fonts. You may not have all the fonts from your Mac on your Windows workstation. Likewise, any placed images which are not travelling with the file in a "Links" folder (which is auto-created when the File > Package command is used) will retain their old paths which will be different from the paths your new workstation likes. So you may end up having to change some fonts and relinking some placed items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you for the reminder 🙂 I keep a folder of fonts on my external drive that I update every time I switch from one computer to another; but still, it's just been from one Mac to another. I've never worked on a design file from one platform to the other and I thank you so much for a quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have old design work stored as Mac documents that don’t use filename extensions (such as .AI, .PSD, etc.), those document formats might not be properly recognized on the Windows side. If that happens, add the proper filename extension to the end so that the right programs can open them.

Also, if you get weird errors when trying to open files, watch out for characters in the filenames that might not be allowed on Windows, such as a slash, and edit the filename to remove them.

Fortunately, the actual formats of Adobe documents are the same on Mac and Windows and need no conversion. Fonts can be a problem, because older font formats came in different Mac and Windows formats. Newer OpenType fonts are cross-platform. It’s a good thing some Adobe applications let you auto-replace fonts by downloading them from Adobe Fonts in Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for the reply and the additional info about the file names; I was unaware of that.  I really do appreciate all of the help I have received 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines