• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I prevent Illustrator from saving two versions of an eps file when I check "use artboards"?

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I check the "use artboards" and save as an eps, Illustrator saves two copies the file – eg. "name.eps" and "name-01.eps". I want to be able to use the artboards feature without having to delete an extra file every time. Is there a way to disable or turn off this feature? And please don't tell me not to check the "use artboards" box--that's the method I need to use.

(And out of curiosity, why is this a feature in the first place? What is the benefit of two identical files? I'd love to be enlightened!)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does that so you don't lose anything.

When you save only one artboard, all other artboards are gone and so is everything outside artboards. Illustrator wants to prevent you from losing something accidentally.

You might argue that you are already grown up and you don't need anyone looking after you. You won't believe how many people don't save their artwork at all for days.

So you might want to set up a feature request to include a checkbox when saving an EPS with the option to not save double files.

Are you sure you actually really need an EPS? Just asking, because that file format is last century's dinosaur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does that so you don't lose anything.

Huh. Thanks for the info. When I'm saving an eps, I already have an Illustrator file saved also. I don't use it to replace my Illustrator file. Either way, I wish it was a feature I could turn off.

And yes, I need an eps. That is what's being requested by a client who lives in another country and doesn't speak my language, so I'm not going to argue with them about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ask for that option on: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

The engineers read it over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't let me respond directly to Monika, so I'm replying to the poster: If the reason Adobe creates a secondary EPS file to protect users from not saving their work, why aren't PSD and AI files saved with duplicates? It does seem odd that there's no way to disable. The obvious reason some of us don't want duplicate files is because they take up a lot of hard drive space. An extra 30mb here and there adds up quick (especially when files are backed up through a limited storage account like Dropbox. Another annoyance is how Illustrator chooses to add a "01" to the end of the EPS file I end wanting to keep, which requires having to locate the file on the hard drive, delete the duplicate file, and then remove the "01".

As for your mention of why people still use EPS format... well, for a couple of reasons... first off AI format is proprietary and doesn't translate to other software... which leaves PDF and EPS as the universal vector formats. PDF is personally my favorite format, yet for whatever reason, some clients and print shops still request EPS files (apparently they don't understand that PDF files are actually more versatile and can do anything the other formats can). Also, for those who sell vector artwork bundles, etc, it's pretty much standard practice and expected that the design files are provided to the buyer in AI, PDF, and EPS formats.

I have to agree with other users who find it bizarre that Adobe provides no way to disable this auto renaming and file duplication behavior. It's quite annoying having to locate every saved EPS file deep in a project folder, remove the "01" from the intended file name, and then delete the space wasting duplicate files. An option to turn this off would be appreciated. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have to agree with other users who find it bizarre that Adobe provides no way to disable this auto renaming"

I have included that in my answer above: If you want this option, then please make a feature request. The engineers don't read this forum.

The reason why there is no such option is that not enough people obviously want it. So if you want to let the engineers know that in fact enough people DO want this option, then you need to tell them. Via the uservoice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up with trying to get Adobe engineers to do anything. I've wasted days of my life attempting to find solutions to ongoing issues with Adobe software (mostly Illustrator). For over 2 years I've attempted to find a remedy to ongoing bugs (mostly with Illustrator), and despite numerous hour long conversations with Adobe reps who confirmed the bugs on their end and promised to resolve the issues with engineers, nothing is ever done about it. I've spent an enourmous amount of time compiling detailed documentation, work files, screen and video captures. Not sure what else someone can do. So here I am voicing my thoughts on the forums because no other avenues have ever produced a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate this feataure also. It wasn't doing this in  my prior versions of Illustrator but it's doing it in the 2023 version.  I don't save these versions with the .01, .02 format but they pop up on my desktop and I have multiple versions of the same file which is extremely confusing while working on the original file, not to mention all the desktop clutter. This has to be one of the worst thought out features from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to mention that I'm not creating eps files.  This is doing it for .ai formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too, but I might have a solution. When you go to save an EPS file and you check "Use Artboards" you will also notice another radio button that says "All" or "Range" where you can specify a number. The Default is "All". If you instead select "Range" and leave the default answer of "1" or whatever Artboard you want, then you will only get one file and not 2. When you select "All", even though there is only one Artboard, the first file is significantly larger. I am not clear on the extra data that is included in the first file other than what might be outside the artboard and might comprise a pseudo-Artboard...? I don't know, all I know is that if you select Range, you get one .eps file not two.

Hopefully that helps...good luck. 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sasha26962947og5t_0-1707399023518.png

Place an additional checkmark in the "range" and then you will only have 1 file 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines