• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't add drop shadow to masked symbol

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I have many shapes that are clipping masks of placed PNGs used over and over again (a blue texture, a red texture, etc)   Each has a drop shadow. Great.  But the file size is huge. So I thought  rather than having multiple copies of these PNGs, I could make them into symbols. But now when I try to add a drop shadow it doesn't show.  Why??

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 7.54.05 AM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Yes, they are embedded raster images inside a symbol.

By the way, you cannot have linked files inside a symbol definition. It's not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I can't see a distinction in appearance or layers. It also doesn't seem to be a problem with other symbols in clipping masks. Unless anyone else has an idea, it might be worth submitting it as a bug:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thansk for the reply! If I make a vector symbol, bring it to the artboard, then apply a clipping mask ... I can add a drop shadow.  But not for these PNG symbols. I can't figure out why. The Drop shadow should be acting on the clipping path .. not the image inside.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tested that scenario. It may be one of the occasions when there is no 'why'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew,

Why use PNGs instead of creating vector versions of these simple shapes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to peer very closely to detect in the screenshot, but they are textures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's like this. These masked shapes all have drop shadows. But if I make the embedded PNG into a symbol ... no drop shadow.    I suppose the PNG doesn't have to be "embedded" right.  I could just link to the placed PNGs. That would recuce the file size?   Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.44.12 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right you are, Doug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see the issue, but as per the screenshot in your initial post, wouldn't it be applicable to just take the left shape (including the drop shadow) and make a symbol out of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kurt! ... not sure what that would solve. I want the placed (embedded) PNGs to be symbols that I can use (mask) to make a variety of diferent shapes. I can do this, but then a can't seem to add a drop shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmh, perhaps I am overlooking something, but I think it would solve the entire issue.

In case you may have to modify the clipping paths very often, you could just edit the symbol definition (double click on a symbol instance to do that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... thanks again. Let me play around with that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see my fallacy.

As a workaround I'd suggest the following approach (.ai file).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hF--jwgpxQiaxVAXIMPeyTpVzVf1WBhF/view?usp=sharing

Take a look at the symbols, make some clipping groups and then apply drop shadows. This is probably what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thansk for sending!  And it is what I'm trying to acheive ... but I don't understadn what the symbols are. When I double-click to "edit' the symbol, there's nothing in the Links panels. Are they embedded images? ... if so, that's what I'm trying to avoid, since embedding the PNGs is what's bloating the file size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are embedded raster images inside a symbol.

By the way, you cannot have linked files inside a symbol definition. It's not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK ... thanks Kurt!  I'm just going to stick with linked PNGs, and not making them into symbols.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Depending on the contents of your files, you could save about 50 % of the file sizes if you were using symbol instances instead of linked files and about 70 – 80 % with symbol instances instead of single embedded files.

Just a hint in case you may want to try the symbol route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines