Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't align a stroke to inside

Participant ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I 've created a shape (Rectangle) , Applied a rounded corners, expand appearance, and a linear gradient.

After that i added a stroke in the appearance panel (2pt wide), filled it with white and when I wanted to align this stroke to inside

I can't.  The options "Align Stroke to inside" "Align Stroke to Outside" are greyed out .

What's wrong ?

Thank you

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Following your steps, I suspect you added a stroke at the group level. At the group level your option will be greyed out. Yo need to ungroup after your expand appearance.

Screen shot 2012-04-11 at 12.22.22 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-04-11 at 12.23.50 PM.png

Try using the appearance panel often, there are many very important features there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be an open path although it looks like a closed path. Aligning strokes inside or outside does only work on closed paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the dumber things that still somehow exist in Illustrator. Why? What if you only want a stroke on one segment of a path? I'd use that ALL the time. If I could put the stroke on one side or another of the actual path, closed or not, it would allow the same result. I love Illustrator but there is bafflingly stupid stuff that Adobe just seems to ignore. You can save the "you're using it wrong" comments. I get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sympathize with SINRISE...Adobe tools should be more consistent in use across all products - INDD, AI, PSD, etc. The things you can do in one program, you can't do in another. [Grrrr...]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See fernandolins golden tip below

<a href="https://bassictraining.com">Learn bass guitar</a> & <a href="https://howtoiceacake.com">Decorate Cakes </a>
Things to do in your spare time:<br />
<a href="https://bassictraining.com">Learn bass guitar</a> &
<a href="https://howtoiceacake.com">Decorate Cakes </a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. I was given a file with shapes in it that honestly looked like closed paths but when I double-checked the option to "Join" was available so I clicked it and voila all my problems went away! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily achieve it with a custom width profile in version CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kililio

If your shape is using brushes you cannot select align inside or outside (just to center). Also if you have a custom width profile you cannot select that align options too. But using width profiles (or the Width Tool) you could achieve the result you want..as Monika mentioned.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user friendly feature from Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following your steps, I suspect you added a stroke at the group level. At the group level your option will be greyed out. Yo need to ungroup after your expand appearance.

Screen shot 2012-04-11 at 12.22.22 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-04-11 at 12.23.50 PM.png

Try using the appearance panel often, there are many very important features there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch guys !!!

@Mike Gondek , I use the Appearance Panel all dayyyy every day it's my bread and butter , i really like the color panel too , just on top of it ( I got "like photoshop" workspace set up )

thank you a bizillion very much !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have imported the vector from another document or SVG or PDF file, Control+J / Command+J will join the loose ends and help you out on most cases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks fernandolins!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fernandolins86- your comment was perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fernandolins! Hit the bulleye

<a href="https://bassictraining.com">Learn bass guitar</a> & <a href="https://howtoiceacake.com">Decorate Cakes </a>
Things to do in your spare time:<br />
<a href="https://bassictraining.com">Learn bass guitar</a> &
<a href="https://howtoiceacake.com">Decorate Cakes </a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a star, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is it. This is the one! Thank you Fernando!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "correct answer" doesn't work for me. I am working with a single, ungrouped object. Expanding appearance does nothing; aligning stroke to either inside or outside is greyed out. Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy1643 schrieb:

The "correct answer" doesn't work for me. I am working with a single, ungrouped object. Expanding appearance does nothing; aligning stroke to either inside or outside is greyed out. Period.

Then please create your own thread, because your problem is different.

Post a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

expand the shape then expand appearance, then try.
Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but sadly not working. I ungrouped and even checked for open paths but nada. The options still don't appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo mean you have tried since 2018?

Can you perhaps show something?

Your problem path and the layers and the appearance panel (path needs to be selected)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Looks like rebooting Illustrator did the trick... go figure. ~Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This glitch has just caused me to lose 5 hours of work after drawing a complicated floorplan and then finding out the client wants EXACT dimensions based on inside stroke measurement -  and this after cutting up the all the open paths for door openings. No way to re-align the stroke. Darn. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines