• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't align certain objects in Illustrator v.22.1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a set of illustrator icons from a reliable clip art source. They are easy to edit, manipulate and change. BUT I cannot get all of the align tools to work correctly with these items. Anything I generate in Illustrator aligns properly, but these items do not. They also don't align properly with Illustrator generated items! I can get "vertical align bottom" or "horizontal align right" to work correctly but all the rest either don't work at all, or they attempt to work, but they don't- as in, when I select three items and highlight one and hit horizontal or vertical align to center, the items move, but clearly do not center with one another. see examples in attached image... I've read through others' questions about this, looked for the various transform on/off boxes,  and tried the other options as well, toggled the "Align To: selection/key object/artboard" and there's no difference. (Most of the suggestions I found are for options I do not have in Illustrator v.22.1 and sadly, I cannot run out and buy a new computer right this moment to get the lastest version...) Anyone else come across this problem and find a fix? 

Original icons have a lot of detail- I've made them all one color here to make it easier to see the issues. I do intend to use them with their (almost) original coloring.

Thanks in advance!

allexamples.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.23.00 PM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

The art could have a random pen anchor point. Try going to the Object > Paths > Clean Up menu and see if there are any stray points.

Another clue to a stray point would be when you select the individual art with the Selection tool. How big is the bounding box?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The art could have a random pen anchor point. Try going to the Object > Paths > Clean Up menu and see if there are any stray points.

Another clue to a stray point would be when you select the individual art with the Selection tool. How big is the bounding box?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOORAY! That seems to have fixed the problem. I've never heard of stray points! Fascinating and very helpful! How does one make those, and how does one avoid them? 

Thank you so much. I need to use about 30 of these people in an infographic and keeping them aligned by eyeball was miserable.

🙂

k!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add: The bounding box was completely appropriate for the size of the icon. I checked that early on, but didn't see anything amiss.

Thank you again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually, they are caused with the Pen tool--when one clicks to start a path but changes one's mind; or forgetting what tool one has selected when clicking.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please Click Ctrl+Y to see if there is any unseen object like clipping mask or any other objects that affects align commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely sure what I should look for? This is what cntrl-Y gives me:

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.13.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines