• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't align stroke on text.

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This used to be SO easy. All I want to do is align my stroke to the outside of my text, but Illustrator won't let me. So I go into my Appearance pallet to see what's going on. On my first attempt to align the stroke, I've applied the stroke and fill under the "Type" attribute. As you can see, aligning the stroke is a no go....

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 8.26.09 AM.png

Since the align stroke is greyed out for "Type," I thought adding the fill and stroke to the "Characters" attribute instead would do the trick. It did not. It's not greyed out, like it was on "Type" but clicking on "Align to Outside" does nothing.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 8.27.14 AM.png

Can someone please help me here? I've tried Googling Type vs Characters in the Appearance panel for Illustrator, but since these terms have LONG been associated with OTHER Illustrator pallets, all I get are unrelated results. I've found nothing. So now, after over 10 years of using Illustrator, I no longer know how to do something simple like align strokes to text (or apply gradients to text for that matter).

Thank you in advance for any answers, light you can shed, or tutorials that can help clear up my confusion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

It does not work with editable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what version did this used to be possible?

If I wanted to achieve this, I'd drag the stroke to below the characters entry in the appearance panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug (and Jeff)! First, Thanks for taking the time to answer.

So, I'm not sure I understand your question. Illustrator, for as long as I can remember, has come with buttons on the Stroke pallet that allowed me to align a stoke to one of three positions. Just as well, strokes could be always applied to objects and text, and these features are all in the current version.

I'll admit that both you and Jeff provided a solution to my problem, but didn't really answer my question. Why can't I use the align stroke buttons?

BTW, I wasn't able to move the stroke under the fill. I had move the fill over the stroke. Weird.

Thanks again guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work with editable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. Ok thanks Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video tutorial about adding typographically correct stroke in Illustrator: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2013/03/adding-typographically-correct-strokes/  

The trick is to add the Stroke to the Type object, not the Characters. This allows you to drag the Stroke under the fill as Doug A Roberts suggests.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating. It baffles me that they cannot just simply add the option to switch stroke alignment on live text. How hard can that be....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's particularly irritating is that you can switch stroke alignment on live text in InDesign, but not in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It can be done via the Appearance Panel. Select Type in the panel, and use Add New Stroke. Then pull the stroke down the panel to under Characters

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 11.39.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 11.39.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines