• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't change the colour of my image in illustrator

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm struggling to change the colour of my image in illustrator following a tutorial on youtube. I embed the image and then edit, edit colours, convert to grayscale and then go to colour swatches and I should be able to then select the colour I want my image to be but instead of changing the actual image colour it changes the colour of a box behind the image, not sure if its the bounding box, i can only seem to change the colour when i go to edit, edit colours, adjust colour balance which is another way to change the colour but i still want to be able to change the colour via the swatch and im not sure why i cant when i followed the exact steps, if anyone can help, would really appreicate it! thank you! 

Picture2.png

 

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Picture5.png

Picture6.png

Picture7.png

     

Belle 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image is in a clipping mask and that's what's changing colour here.

If you release the clipping mask (Object > Clipping Mask > Release), can you follow the steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding! I've just done that and i still cant change the colour through the swatches 😞

Picture9.png

Picture10.png

Picture11.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't seem to have converted to grayscale in these images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture12.png

yeah its still not working, when i convert to grayscale and then choose a colour from swatches, still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the layers panel with the image selected, and list the exact steps you took to get to this point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dragged my image in, embedded it, edit, edit colours, convert to grayscale, and then ive released clipping mask and when i select colour swatches it still doesnt change the image 

Picture13.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of copies of the image listed in the layers. Are any of them stacked on each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean stacked? how do i tell? yes there other desings on other artboards i need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean on top of one another on the same artboard.

This is difficult to analyse without looking at your file. Can you try the same thing in a new file with a single image and see if you can follow the instructions? If not, can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so ive opened it up in a brand new file, embed the image, edit , edit colours convert to grayscale and then clicked a colour in the swatches panel and still it colours the background box not the actual image, and you can see the layers panel

Picture15.png

Picture16.png

Picture17.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you Place the image or copy and paste it from somewhere?

It shouldn't have a clipping path if you place then embed. What kind of file is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive dragged it from my library, it was created in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why, but this method doesn't seem to work on embedded Library items.

Save the image from Photoshop, then add it using File > Place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

right ok thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your screen dumps it looks like you are targeting a clip group.

Try to dig in the layers panel until you have only an item named <image> selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines