Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't drag pattern to swatch panel

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was able to do this yesterday, but today, it's not working. I'm taking a class on creating patterns and today's class was on fixing them, so she had us drag the pattern out of the swatches panel to readjust the elements in it and fix anything that was askew. Now, when I try to drag this back into the swatches panel, I get that little "pop" noise and nothing appears in the panel.

I've seen similar topics and I've tried the suggestions in there, when I could find those commands - some were very old. Nothing has made it work. I checked that I'm showing "All swatches", I know that there are no guides. I tried expanding the images and yes, they are embedded. There is no group of swatches and the patterns I've made are the only swatches in the panel at this time.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Okay, so you asking for the layers called to my attention that clipping masks had somehow been created. I deleted 2 layers of them and my pattern went into the swatch panel...now if I only knew how those were created so I don't do it again....sorry to bother y'all 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us the objects inside the layers panel. Or just upload the AI file to Dropbox or the like and post a link in the forum.

You know that there is a pattern editing mode, which is made for editing your patterns, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried twice to upload the AI file, but I'm not seeing it. Please tell me if it's actually there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay...so to answer your second question, I'm not sure what you mean by pattern editing mode. I essentially dragged it out of the swatch panel and went through the same steps I went through to create it the first time. (Object -> pattern -> make) to adjust it. Then I closed that and pasted it onto the artboard, made it seamless and attempted to drag it back into the swatch panel. I even deleted the original when I kept getting the click or pop noise. I'm going to try to attach the AI file...AGAIN. It doesn't seem to be showing up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI file does not seem to be uploading, but the image I attached to the first post shows the swatch panel, as you requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Object >Pattern >Make is the pattern editing mode.

But in order to edit a pattern, you don't need to drag it out of the panel. Just double click it in the panel.

The trouble starts when you mix the pattern editing mode with the ancient method of creating a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for so many. It's late and I'm tired....you asked for LAYERS panel 🙂

That image is attached. 

Because this is a class, there are many objects on the layer that aren't part of this design. I highlighted the ones that apply to this design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so you asking for the layers called to my attention that clipping masks had somehow been created. I deleted 2 layers of them and my pattern went into the swatch panel...now if I only knew how those were created so I don't do it again....sorry to bother y'all 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines