Highlighted

Can't get custom brushes and Illustrator brushes to merge

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created some custom brushes and I drew some lines. I am trying to merge those lines with some lines from the original illustrator brushes. I am pretty sure they won't merge because they are not the same color but no matter how hard I try, I cannot get them to be the same color. I have gone in and made sure they have the same color number(when I did that they did not look close to the same color and I did expand appearance) 

This is making me really mad because I want to use both the original brushes and brushes I make in one drawing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

When you unite after expanding the brush, then negative space shouldn't be filled.

I haven't figured out what kind of special appearance it is. Might need to look at your file when I have plenty of time (which will take some weeks)

In order to delete that, just delete the appearance in the appearance panel (there's a button for that, please read the doumentation). Then apply just a standard black fill as the other object have and then also Merge will work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/appearance-attributes.html#appearance_panel_overview

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't get custom brushes and Illustrator brushes to merge

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created some custom brushes and I drew some lines. I am trying to merge those lines with some lines from the original illustrator brushes. I am pretty sure they won't merge because they are not the same color but no matter how hard I try, I cannot get them to be the same color. I have gone in and made sure they have the same color number(when I did that they did not look close to the same color and I did expand appearance) 

This is making me really mad because I want to use both the original brushes and brushes I make in one drawing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

When you unite after expanding the brush, then negative space shouldn't be filled.

I haven't figured out what kind of special appearance it is. Might need to look at your file when I have plenty of time (which will take some weeks)

In order to delete that, just delete the appearance in the appearance panel (there's a button for that, please read the doumentation). Then apply just a standard black fill as the other object have and then also Merge will work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/appearance-attributes.html#appearance_panel_overview

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a screenshot?

Please include the contents of the layers panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a picture of merged brush strokes with illustrator brushed. The second is merged custom brush with Illustrator brush. I made sure they were the same color before I merged them.

Screenshot (73).pngScreenshot (74).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample .ai file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the file 

I didn't merge them in the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but I did not have any problem with your file. I could easily merge and change the color of your brush strokes. One did have a stroke around it and the other did not, but that didn't impact anything. Do you have a problem when you are trying to merge other all Illustrator brush strokes for example? I also don't understand why that would stop you from using both brushes in one drawing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is just my computer or I'm doing something wrong but this is what I'm doing and it isn't working.

https://youtu.be/0zP4ZZteN-g 

I'm probably going to feel really dumb when I find out what I'm doing wrong 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For brushes try "Expand appearance" instead of Outline stroke

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand appearance didn't help any. It still wouldn't merge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that you are using the pathfinder "Merge" AND that there's some special appearance applied to one of the paths (see the special target symbol in the layers panel?).

What you can do: either use the pathfinder "Unite" or delete that appearance and apply just the same appearances that the other path has.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use unite, any negative space areas get filled in and I don't want that.

I can't figure out how to delete the appearance. 

How do I set it up so new brushes don't have a special appearance? I have only been working with Illustrator for a week so please reply accordingly. 

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or choose Reduce to Basic Appearance from the Appearance panel menu befre Merge.

Like Monika, I cannot detect what is causing the Appearance. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I delete the appearance, the shape is invisible and it still says it has an appearance in the layers panel. You can only see the shape when you select it.

I didn't think I was this good a breaking things...

Capture2.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't delete the appearance, but reduce to basic appearance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reducing to basic appearance doesn't work.

Doing some experimenting. Clear appearance, then reapplying the brushes, expand appearance, then merge works. But I don't want to have to reapply brush strokes to every single stroke to make this work.

Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to re-apply the orignal brush. All of this happens after expanding brushes.

But it could help if you could upload the original artwork with live brushes as well as the shapes you created the brushes from.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0