Highlighted

Can't grab bezier control points

Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having increasing difficulty grabbing bezier control points - not the ends of segments, but the little round handles on the ends of the control tangents.

I used to make Illustrator fly but now I waste so much time grabbing, failing, grabbing again, accidentally deselectiing, selecting again, failing to grab yet again, grabbing again and again...

Even if i very carefully and slowly grab the point, Illustrator fails to notice and my mouse pointed slides off without moving it. I find it's particularly oe even more difficult to grab a point when its on or near a guide line.

I have looked in prefs and I think the selection anchor & display snap to and tolerance only apply to segment end points.

Am I missing something? Is it a bug? Is there a setting somewhere else I can fiddle with? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

K.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't grab bezier control points

Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having increasing difficulty grabbing bezier control points - not the ends of segments, but the little round handles on the ends of the control tangents.

I used to make Illustrator fly but now I waste so much time grabbing, failing, grabbing again, accidentally deselectiing, selecting again, failing to grab yet again, grabbing again and again...

Even if i very carefully and slowly grab the point, Illustrator fails to notice and my mouse pointed slides off without moving it. I find it's particularly oe even more difficult to grab a point when its on or near a guide line.

I have looked in prefs and I think the selection anchor & display snap to and tolerance only apply to segment end points.

Am I missing something? Is it a bug? Is there a setting somewhere else I can fiddle with? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

K.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 02, 2017 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences? If something has worked in the past but is not working now this can often help restore what is lost.

To do this:

For Macintosh Users: With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

For Windows Users: Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2017 0
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you mean. You have to really carefully watch the cursor, the change when hitting the handle is barely noticeable. But apart from that:

You can use this to make a wish http://illustrator.uservoice.com/

And another one: are you working with smart guides turned on? This helps a little bit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2017 2
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my suggestion about the preferences doesn't help then I just want to point out that there are adjustments in the "Selection & Anchor Display" section of the Illustrator preferences that might also help out. See screen shot:

ANCHOR POINTS_02.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2017 1
Mentor ,
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your mouse tracking set ridiculously high, so that moving your mouse a quarter inch causes your pointer to move across the entire screen?

My anchor selection tolerance is set at the minimum, but I have no problem hitting the target quickly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2017 0
Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - it's set to a sensible level. I can hit the target without any problem, it's just that illustrator doesn't notice and my mouse pointer just slides off without moving the point. I can do it very very very slowly and accurately and it still doesn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2017 0
Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. I inwardly groaned when you said trash the prefs cos I hate having to get it all the way I like it again, but your saving the mint files is a good one and I'm now kicking myself for not thinking of that myself. I'll give it a go.

Yes - I've experimented with thos settings to no avail.

Thanks Monika Gause, I've never noticed the cursor change at all! I'll look carefully - it may help.

Thanks all.

K.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2017 1
Resources