Can’t make clipping mask on live trace shape

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a font in procreate that I brought into AI, then live traced it. Then took the shape of the letter "S" that is now a vector and placed it over a texture to make a clipping mask as I would usually do. It keeps giving me the error saying it has to be a text, or a compound path etc in order to make a clipping mask. I tried converting it to a compound path and that also Isn't working. When I try to do the mask and Invert mask idea the texture fills inside the live trace outline of the letter "S" shape I lived traced (so you can barely see the texture in the outline but it's not filling the shape) . What am I missing here?

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the outline of the S is a closed path.

Before making the S into a clipping mask, try selecting the S and choosing Object > Expand. Then in the Pathfinder panel, click the first icon to unite any shapes in the S.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It always makes sense to show a screenshot. Include the layers panel in this.

You have expanded the Image Trace?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines