• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't manipulate text in illustrator

New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a newbie so the answer is hopefully obvious. I used to be able to edit text, not well but I could do the basics with a simple font. I did the tutorials, Ive watched youtube videos, but lately i cant even grab the text.

1. I write some text 

2. i create an outline of the text so it has a path i can grab.

3. i use the direct selection tool like everyone else but it doesnt do anything, ive grabbed onto the line itself, a point, an anchor but it either just grabs the whole word, just the letter or part of the letter. i want to be able stretch the letter down and around town.

ive watched all the videos and no one is doing anything different, i zoom in and be precise and nothing. 

thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but oulined text is not longer text. It is a graphic now. Not longer editable text.

If you have no backup of your file - you have to create your text with the Type Tool again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

corngubbles,

From another (possible) interpretation of the word editable, if you mean changing the shape/appearance of one or more letters:

You ought to be able to Alt/OptionClickDrag over part(s) of the letter(s) you wish to select in full with the Direct Selection Tool.

Or, unless you have Object Selection by Path Only in your General Preferences, you ought to be able to Direct Select a letter by Clicking its Fill with the Direct Selection Tool (ShiftClick following ones to select multiple letters)

But if you have hidden Edges (accidentally), you are unable to see when you select a letter, apart from in the Layers palette, but you can stil edit (just try).

Ctrl/Cmd+H toggles Hide/Show Edges; and it is probably the most frequent keyboard mishit, completely surrounded by other keyboard shorcuts, closing in on all sides.

Normally it occurs as a keyboard mishit for a nearby keystroke shortcut that seemingly failed to work, and your failing to realize that something else may have happened, then just trying again (what you thought you did) and getting it right and forgetting about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Ill try right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, corngubbles.

I hope you will share your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines