• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move objects any more using arrow keys in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Illustrator CC (April 2017 / 2017.1.0 Release / 21.1.0) and now I can't move objects, text, etc. using the arrow keys. There is no issue with my keyboard in other applications, and I don't see anything in my Illustrator preferences or any other settings which would impact this. I do not understand - am I missing something? Please tell me this is not on the 'other enhancements' for the program!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

I had this problem too just after I updated Illustrator (2017.1.0 Release / 21.1.0), everything on the keyboard worked except the arrow keys. I closed and re-opened Illustrator and that seemed to fix the problem - I guess I'll have to wait and see if it's permanent or not

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Just a note for anyone who finds this post in the future: even if your Keyboard Increment input has a value already, if you change it and save your problem will get solved!

Noting because it doesn't seem to be an issue with the value being "0" per se, which initially turned me off to this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Just had this problem & even though the increment was fine, changing it solved it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!!!!

All of a sudden this started happening to me a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find a fix so have just been working with it.

Thank you thank you thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has resolved a several-month-long issue for me xD Thanks heaps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion RE: changing to higher value. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I've been having problems with Illustrator lately not being able to move objects with my mouse. It's happening more often and have to restart Illustrator. I thought it was my mouse, but this happens only in Illustrator and now some issues in Captivate. Maybe mouse or Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing this for newcomers.

So closing and restarting Illustrator or my PC did not work for me. My actual issue was that the Keyboard Increment was too little (0.000001 in) that the arrow clicks made so little movement it was not noticeable.

I followed the other replies here and increasing the value of (Keyboard Increment) solved it for me.

My default value was (0.000001 in), so I changed to a higher value (0.005 in) and that made the movement through the keyboard visible.

You can do that by going to:

Edit -> Preferences -> General

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it!  Not sure how it changed to 0.00001pt, but thank you for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  Must have been gremlilns......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fresh install of Adobe Illustrator 2019 after just installing windows 10.

Keyboard increment nudging did not work.

Anyways, my first instinct was to start changing the increment.

This did not have any effect, but, then restarting the program (not necessary to restart the entire PC) did, in fact, fix the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me now. Arrow keys not working in Illustrator (v25.1, Windows 10) after updating this morning. They do work in other programs, including inDesign which also updated today. Opening and closing Illustrator has no effect, nor do full reboots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tried to change the key increments a variety of ways, but with no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > General > Keyboard Increment, what is the value shown in the box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, 

It says "0.0001 px".

I tried other values, such as 0.0002 px and several others. After seeing your post I tried a couple more. No luck.

It works in text, moving the cursor from letter to letter, but not with highlighted objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing it to something like 1 px. 0.0001 px means one ten-thousands of a pixel. A pixel (in Illustrator) is defined as 1/72 of an inch. So basically the movement is so small as to be not visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to have worked. Of course I should have realized 0.0001 px was so tiny I would not see it.

What would cause that? Some keystroke I accidently made? A quirk in yesterday's update?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem too! For me, activating the Snap to Pixel option under the View menu worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who may still run into this issue (rolling into 2022), the fix that will work is done within your illustrator preferences. No matter what version you may have, go into preferences and click into general. From there the "keyboard increment" will most likely be set to 0. Change that nimber to 1 px (0.0139 in when converted). Click OK and it will allow you to move shapes and anything selected with the arrow keys once again. 

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines