• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move objects any more using arrow keys in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Illustrator CC (April 2017 / 2017.1.0 Release / 21.1.0) and now I can't move objects, text, etc. using the arrow keys. There is no issue with my keyboard in other applications, and I don't see anything in my Illustrator preferences or any other settings which would impact this. I do not understand - am I missing something? Please tell me this is not on the 'other enhancements' for the program!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

I had this problem too just after I updated Illustrator (2017.1.0 Release / 21.1.0), everything on the keyboard worked except the arrow keys. I closed and re-opened Illustrator and that seemed to fix the problem - I guess I'll have to wait and see if it's permanent or not

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Just a note for anyone who finds this post in the future: even if your Keyboard Increment input has a value already, if you change it and save your problem will get solved!

Noting because it doesn't seem to be an issue with the value being "0" per se, which initially turned me off to this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Just had this problem & even though the increment was fine, changing it solved it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too just after I updated Illustrator (2017.1.0 Release / 21.1.0), everything on the keyboard worked except the arrow keys. I closed and re-opened Illustrator and that seemed to fix the problem - I guess I'll have to wait and see if it's permanent or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Restarting the program did seem to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Consuelo,

This is certainly not an enhancement. You should be able to use your arrow keys to move objects. As suggested above, try to restart the computer, re launch AI and check. If the issue is still there, check for any third party plugin or a conflicting app like an anti virus.

You can also reset the preferences and check if the above suggestions does not help. For details, see: https://helpx.adobe.com/ee/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information! Restarting the program worked so hopefully there won't be any future issues with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad that the issue is resolved. Feel free to get back to us in case of any issues in future.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I also had this issue back in April with the arrow keys not working after I updated Ai. Restarting fixed it. However, after doing the latest update the same thing has happened to me with the arrows not working, and restarting Ai. and my computer hasn't fixed it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try if resetting the preferences helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting the program did not fix this issue for me. Is there any other way I would be able to get my arrow keys to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Restarting the program did not fix this issue for me. Is there any other way I would be able to get my arrow keys to work?

Which version, which system?

Did you already reset the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC version 22.0.1

I restarted the program and the entire computer and still arrow keys aren’t working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carlyk8513105  schrieb

Illustrator CC version 22.0.1

I restarted the program and the entire computer and still arrow keys aren’t working.

Did you migrate your preferences when updating or did you create new ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a completely new illustrator / Adobe CC account. I am currently creating all my presets for the first time. Please tell me what I should do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Preferences > General.

Is there a very low number in "Keyboard Increments"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

General preferences - Keyboard increment.

That fixed it for me. Thank you for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had restarted program but did not work.
So changed the Keyboard Increment from 0cm to 0.05cm, and it worked !

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note for anyone who finds this post in the future: even if your Keyboard Increment input has a value already, if you change it and save your problem will get solved!

Noting because it doesn't seem to be an issue with the value being "0" per se, which initially turned me off to this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem & even though the increment was fine, changing it solved it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me its about 0.5 and worked nicely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! the number really was low, changing it helped!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having the same issue with the arrow keys, tried restarting and also with the preferences still isn't working. Can someone help me please? Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please create a new thread? It's impossible to discuss in this one, because your message can barely be found in this chaos.

And please tell us your version and system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Nothing is working. Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jamie, I ended up changing my Key Increments in preferences to 0.0139 in and it fixed it! Hope it does for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyboard*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines