• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move or delete files without quitting illustrator.

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once a file has been opened in Illustrator, I can't move/modify/rename/delete them without quitting illustrator first. I get "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Adobe Illustrator 2021". I run a lot of batch actions and move the files after so having to close and reopen the app everytime is really inconvenient.

Ai error.png

I've updated/reinstalled Illustrator, restarted the pc etc.

Only affects Illustrator, other applications like Photoshop don't do it.

Doesn't matter the file type or location and files are local, not being synced anywhere.

Windows 10, latest version of Illustrator.

'Save in background' and 'Export in background' are turned off.

I one by one ended each Adobe process in task manager I could find while trying to delete the file each time and I could only delete it once Illustrator itself was terminated.

I'm stuck and I can't think of anything else to try, any advice?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Hi, sorry about that

I don’t have a solution, but maybe if you try to reset the preferences will work, here the instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences

2nd option: Install an older version of Illustrator from the CC app. Go to the creative cloud app and click on the 3 dots next to Illustrator app to see more options and select other versions

you can install a previous version of Illustrator and maybe that will work, somet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry about that

I don’t have a solution, but maybe if you try to reset the preferences will work, here the instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences

2nd option: Install an older version of Illustrator from the CC app. Go to the creative cloud app and click on the 3 dots next to Illustrator app to see more options and select other versions

you can install a previous version of Illustrator and maybe that will work, sometimes there are bugs and you have to update the system

Let me know if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugenio, resetting the prefrences didn't work but downgrading to 2020 worked. I'll have to wait for it to be fixed before I update again. Illustrator 24 will work for me for now though.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so glad, thank for leting me know, now please if you can close this topic with the correct answer

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines