Highlighted

Can't open a compatible PDF that was editable on Illustrator anymore, only import it as image – why?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been working on an 80mb document in Illustrator that was created on Illustrstor ans saved as with Illustrator editing capabilities (multi-page) PDF for some weeks now. Today I suddently can't open the PDF file with Illustrator and continue working on my vectors – I can only import it as linked files (images). That means all layers are gone and I can't work on the document. I'm using the 2019 version (23.0.3) on a Macbook Pro with the latest OS (10.15.5)

How can I fix that? Is it all lost? 

Thanks for your kind help in advanced!

Best, Nord

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

"how can I avoid this happening in future?"

Backup as much as possible.

Save on internal hard disk (not directly on extern drives, cloud services, servers).

Use versioning like the files in your CC files folder have.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't open a compatible PDF that was editable on Illustrator anymore, only import it as image – why?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been working on an 80mb document in Illustrator that was created on Illustrstor ans saved as with Illustrator editing capabilities (multi-page) PDF for some weeks now. Today I suddently can't open the PDF file with Illustrator and continue working on my vectors – I can only import it as linked files (images). That means all layers are gone and I can't work on the document. I'm using the 2019 version (23.0.3) on a Macbook Pro with the latest OS (10.15.5)

How can I fix that? Is it all lost? 

Thanks for your kind help in advanced!

Best, Nord

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Save on internal hard disk (not directly on extern drives, cloud services, servers).

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it open in the 2020 version?

2020 AI files will open the PDF part when opened in 2019.

You can install 2020 without removing 2019 to try that out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still only openes the PDF as images and not as vectors with layers, even in the 2020 version.

I fear it's all lost, which would be devestating since it's a project my company work on. I can't understand why it suddently decides that it can't read it as a AI compatible document, I've been working on it every day for weeks. Is there any hope left here? What else could I try? And if not, how can I avoid this happening in future?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open a pdf in Illustrator, there is a checkbox "Import PDF Pages as Links", did you uncheck that?

You get vectors with a lot of clipping masks, but at least most of the file is editable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clipping masks there, still only images. But, I was able to restore from the cloud to an older version (thank god for that). The latest version that Illustrator is willing to open is 3 days old, so lots of data lost, but at least it's not the whole document. I wonder what happened 3 days ago that changed how it reads the file. Anyways, I'm going to pick up on your advice to back up very often, even more than neccessary, can never know when it decided to break. Thanks a lot, dear Ton!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that you at least got something to work on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0