• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Open Files from File Explorer (Windows 10)

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since installing Creative Cloud 2021 apps, I can no longer double-click on an Illustrator file in File Explorer to open it. 

If Illustrator is closed when I double-click, it opens and displays a message that Illustrator quit unexpectedly.

InfoDevPro_0-1610279128390.png

If Illustrator is open when I double-click, nothing happens.

Note that it's not just double-clicking - I can't use Open or Open With either. (When I try either of these, Illustrator opens, but the file does not – unlike double-clicking, this does not cause an error message.)

I have tried everything I can think of... changing permissions, re-installing the apps, editing the registry, three different graphics drivers... nothing works. 

The other CC apps that I use (Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, Bridge) work fine – it's only Illustrator that has this problem. Because I work in so many different programs in addition to the CC apps, I need to be able to open files from File Explorer.

Any ideas?

Additional Info:

Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2 (64 Bit), 19042.685

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with Max-Q Design

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

I seemed to have fixed the problem. I did a clean install of my operating system using a local account. Hopefully, someone else can come up with an easier fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seemed to have fixed the problem. I did a clean install of my operating system using a local account. Hopefully, someone else can come up with an easier fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Except this also happens with PS. Any idea how to fix it? Definitely not going to attempt to reinstall my os. That would be waaaaaayyyyyyyyy beyond my skillset lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you got your issue fixed by reinstalling the OS. You may follow suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) if you have such issues further.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines