Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Open Older Adobe AI Files in the Current AI 10.15.7 Version

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been working with all Adobe programs for 26 years - yet any AI file that is over 10-years old will NOT open in the current version of Adobe AI. I just get the notice "Can't open the illustration. The file is locked or in use. ID: -54". I have these files stored in FOUR places - and have been using this these files for years...iDrive, Creative Cloud, my hard drive and my Time Machine Back-up. I called Adobe Tech support yesterday - and was transferred to a Tech Support line. EVERY TIME I call Adobe tech support - I am told I do not have a "Subscription" yet my Creative Cloud account and all my libraires are open in front of me. I use my Adobe account every day - as I design for mass retailers...then I am transferred to subscription services again (hold time - hold time - hold time) and they do verify my account so they transfer me back to tech support...then AGAIN they think I do not have a "Subscription". Every time I call Adobe tech support - they don't seem to even know how to use the programs - and can never solve the problem so they HANG UP ON ME. This happened three times yesterday and over 3-hours - and they never figured out why my file (stored in 4 different places) would not open. I have a BRAND NEW MAC and ALL my software is updated. Yet they just hang up on me. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a ticket number of your support case?

Do other files from your archive work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika!

I do not have a ticket number as Adobe hangs up on me when they can't find a fix to the problem. None of my ai files 2010 and older will open in the current ai version...and I literally have thousand of them. Plus they are all stored in four different place so it isn't posiible they all were corrupted. It is clearly an ai problem.

Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a valid subscription or not?

Can you upload one of these files to Dropbox or the like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika - 

YES I have a valid subscription - I design for Target, Walmart, Petsmart, etc - I use it every day. I am the Design Director for my company. I have, work with and share my CC librairies with my design team everyday - because I am loged in and have a subscription. YET when I call Adobe support- the tech team says I do not have one - yet I am logged in - then I am transferred to "subscription services" and they confirm I do have one. This happens every time. Then I am tranferred back to tech support and they can't figure outthe problem - so they hang up on me. Also, like I said, I have been using these programs for over 26-years and the people I talk to on tech support often seem like they don't even know how to use the programs. Yes - I uplodaed a file to dropbox. The current version of ai will not open up older files (2010)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you include a link so we can access the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to this file- it is not only this file, it is any file that is adobe ai 2010 or later:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cxteasdjcd80f8/BasicSilhouettes.ai?dl=0

Thank you for looking into this Larry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file doesn't open in version CC2017

I have also opened it in Simple Text and the source doesn't look like an AI file at all.

25 years backthere were disk saving apps, that applied compression to all files. Are you sure none of that was active on your volume? Also that file is very small, which is not normal for an AI file back in 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika - I have been using these files for over ten years. AGAIN- they are stored in 4 different loctations - they can't just be corrupt all over the world. The current ai does NOT work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has nothing to do with the current Illustrator.

No Illustrator file starts with: "bookmark88x…ˇVÒ∫_÷≤Aº»PM&JArtwork"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Illustrator file:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-30 um 17.58.18.png

This is not an Illustrator file:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-30 um 17.57.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton - 

I has been an Illustrator file for TEN YEARS!!!! I used it all the time. It can not just be corrupt from FOUR different locations....as ALL my ai files since 2010 and earlier are.

Regards,

A.J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open any of your Illustrator files in a texteditor. If they are from 10 years ago they should start with: %PDF-1.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's a company account?

When contacting Customer Care you have to be logged in with the same address that is linked to your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is what I have done EVERY time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! And my CC Cloud window is open everytime I call with Tech Support - THEN when I get transferred to "Subcription Services" and then once (AGAIN)  my account is confirmed - I get tranferred back to "Tech Support" - "Tech Support" can never find or solve my problem - or my account. I have been working with Adobe EVERYDAY for over 26 years...I think there are some young ones at Adobe that are trying to "imporove things" with updates  - yet they don't really know the programs completely in order to do so. And they are destroying my work/files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines