• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open the illustrator. The file may be read only, or the file is in use by another application

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can anyone help me with this problem. I've never seen this before and I don't really know what causes this kind of error to pop up. Is there any way I can work around this problem?. I've already tried to follow the error instruction but nothing happened and the file still showing the same error. Please help, this artwork is really important. Thank you . 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Which version, which system?

Where is the file located?If on a network, download it to your disk first. If in a synchronized folder, move it out of there.

Anything that happened when you last used it? Like: a crash?

Please embed screenshots in your post, don't attach them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Hello, I had the identical problem and finally I managed to solve it. In my case I save my ai files on a external disk that's why I think my files went wrong. The situation appeared to be the following: the file was dublicated twice with the same name in the same format in the folder. So I deleted the copy of the file and everything worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version, which system?

Where is the file located?If on a network, download it to your disk first. If in a synchronized folder, move it out of there.

Anything that happened when you last used it? Like: a crash?

Please embed screenshots in your post, don't attach them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will happen when you previously saved a file in the creative cloud and been deleted or you logged in with different adobe account. the file data will show 0KB because it is saved in the cloud not on your local HD. When you try to open the file the link to the cloud is not working. also will not sync if you are using different adobe account. so you have to ..

1- Make sure you are logged in to the same adobe account you saved the file in before.

2- Make sure the file is not deleted from the cloud.

as you can see from the attached screenshot .. 0KB the file is not actually saved to the local desk, it is on the cloud and i logged in with different adobe account or the file is deleted... hope this helps to understand the cause.. Adobe should view different error message that makes people understand what is wrong .. not all people are tech or understand how adobe backend works !!!

Screenshot 2023-04-28 092733.png

Screenshot 2023-04-28 092946.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had the identical problem and finally I managed to solve it. In my case I save my ai files on a external disk that's why I think my files went wrong. The situation appeared to be the following: the file was dublicated twice with the same name in the same format in the folder. So I deleted the copy of the file and everything worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines